school massively over numers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I know that I am pro 13+ but if he excels in sport then maybe 13+ senior schools would be desperate to have him and offer a sports scholarship. He must be very good as his siblings are already at the grammar school and you chose an alternative for him. It's obviously a huge commitment ferrying him everywhere but do the grammars have a shorter day, or more/less homework that may impact his training? What sports is he particularly good at?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Surreymum I do sympathise. We too turned down a grammar for an independent and what you have described is precisely one of the reservations we had about the independent sector. I'll admit my blood curdled when I saw your original post. Having thought about it I think Tipsy is right when she says it depends why you chose the school originally. However, for what it is worth, if he is that good at a sport then extra numbers will just improve the standard rather than exclude him - hopefully he'll end up playing for a better team and future glory will beckon! As other parents hear of what has happened they may well take up theother offers they have been sitting on (?) - in London I'm sure it happens - so the problem may get marginally decreased. Ultimately I guess it depends how much it colours your view of the school overall, the last thing you want is for him to embark on his secondary school life with all of you feeling let down by the school already. :cry:
As for the grammar, I know sometimes if you turn them down means going to the bottom of their list no matter what so I'm not so sure that would be an option. At least staying at prep is, although I agree that having gone through it all once the last thing you all need is a repeat performance in 2 years time! Good luck to you whatever you decide.
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The GS can't put you bottom of the list - if you qualified they have to stick to their admission criteria. I would see what the postition is about whether there is a place.

What ever you first thought about this Independent school will you ever feel the same about it again? they have let you down once ... they are businesses first and foremost after all.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Surreymum,
Which school is this please?
mad?

Post by mad? »

At the Tiffin Girls school open day last year, the head clearly stated that if you rejected a place and then changed your mind, you would only be considered after all the other candidates on the waiting list. May be this is (not unresonable?) exception. :P
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A local authority maintained school cannot do this - they have to stick to their admissions criteria - I have heard of people localy changing their mind and subsequently getting a place at a GS.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

I have read this post with some interest as my DD moves to her independent secondary school in September.

I would not expect an independent school to suddenly increase their numbers on a whim. Any decent school will have a strategy in place first. Do you know what the strategy is (assuming there is one) and why you were not informed about it?

There are clearly pros and cons with growing and shrinking numbers but I think you need to have confidence that the school knows what it is doing.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I suspect the grammar school can probably do what they like in this situation, and I won't know until Monday. I can understand if they say we are bottom of the list.

I am not concerned about the sports he is good at, as I have no doubt he would still be in the top team, but I am concerned about the educational opportunities, class sizes, other extra-curricular stuff and pastoral care.

An intake of 150 was one of the down sides of the school for me when I was weighing it up, but felt it was balanced overall. I would not have contemplated it at 220.

I feel trust is a major issue here too.

Once half term is over, I can speak to all the relevant people at all the schools and assess our options.

I have never wished a week off work away like this before....... :)
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

guest42 wrote:I have read this post with some interest as my DD moves to her independent secondary school in September.

I would not expect an independent school to suddenly increase their numbers on a whim. Any decent school will have a strategy in place first. Do you know what the strategy is (assuming there is one) and why you were not informed about it?

There are clearly pros and cons with growing and shrinking numbers but I think you need to have confidence that the school knows what it is doing.
They have not deliberately increased to this size. They are saying they had a surprising number of acceptances after the selection process having made their usual number of offers for their size. I think we are in uncharted territory for them and us....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The GS can 'only do what it likes' if it is a foundation school - otherwise the local authority controls admissions - why don't you phone admissions as they will be around this week?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now