Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

So thrilled for you Surreymum! :D
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes that's great. And superb not to pay too. There's nothing more annoying than something annoying that you have paid a lot for.

I'm sure he will enjoy it. I think we give children too much say too young in which school they will go to. They are not equipped to take all the factors into account in making the decision.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

That's great news! Really pleased for you. Can't help wondering if there's a noticeable increase in alcohol sales between March and July though. :wink:
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

That's great and I'm sure you're relieved. Can I ask how you managed to arrange this with the grammar? Did your son just go to the top of the waiting list?
mad?

Post by mad? »

well done and congratulations - you must be really relieved to have found a solution that suits all - it must be fate. Given what had happened you can't have been the only one looking for alternatives and although it must have seemed like an eternity bet there are others still stranded in no mans land.
mad?
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Great news, Surreymum!

As you will no longer be using the independent school, would you be prepared to name it?
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

So glad for you Surreymum, it would have been difficult to trust the independent school after this, and so the grammar seems the right choice.
Bougalou
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Surreymum - I hope you are going to ask the Independent school to return your deposit. It would seem fair as they misled you in quite a big way over what you would be getting for your fees.

(And, Perplexed, I'm with you, secondary school is too big a decision to be left to the whims of a 10/11 year old!)
melinda

Post by melinda »

Hi Surreymum,
I am glad you got your school situation sorted. You were certainly lucky to get back your GS place, but I guess they do know you well (?) which always helps I'm sure.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Thanks to all for your good wishes. We were just so lucky to get a place off the waiting list so quickly, I've never been so grateful that people hold onto places who have no intention of taking them! The dates for paying for various things have just passed and that must have focussed the mind for some. I've only met the headmaster once and that was me marching in to moan about something!

We are potentially liable for a terms fees for the independent, although some informal legal advice suggests we have a strong case for misrepresentation and should be able to fight it successfully were it to come to that. I would also like to take the school uniform back which we bought a couple of weeks ago from the school shop :?