New to the 11+ process and nervous

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Good luck Ebonysmum DD - how has everything gone so far?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Good luck Ebony's mums dc.

Hope it all goes well for you both!
Ebonysmum

Post by Ebonysmum »

Thank you all for your best wishes :)
DD had her final interview today at St Margarets Bushey which went well. She said that the teacher who interviewed her was really friendly. I was busy talking to the admissions secretary while I waited for her and she too was lovely.
This is definitely our favourite school of all that we have applied for :) Offer letters will be sent out by Feb 6th so fingers crossed. It will still be a longer wait for the others at the end of Feb and beginning of March, but I will try to put it out of my mind for now.
Just grateful that this stage is all over.
Ebonysmum

Headmaster spoiled the surprise but happy result

Post by Ebonysmum »

DD came home from school today saying that the headmaster announced in her class today that he received a letter from St Margarets Bushey and that the five girls who sat the exam have all passed.

DD is over the moon as St Margarets is her favourite school. We should receive the letter tomorrow (weather permitting) as they are meant to post them out today. I am of course super happy but would have liked to have found out when the letter came in the post.

Well that is the first result in. Just waiting for Heathfield and Northwood College on 26th Feb and Henrietta Barnett on 3rd March.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Well done Ebonysmum!!! You must be so pleased for your DD. Have been follwoing you thread from the beginning and am so glad you guys have got your main choice :D
Ebonysmum

Post by Ebonysmum »

Our headmaster keeps stealing my thunder!! He only went into my DD's class again today and told them the offers they have received as he found out today.

While I am excited as DD has now been offered a place at Heathfield School too, I would much rather find out when the letter comes to us officially tomorrow. I know he and the deputy head are excited for the children as they have all done extremely well but I still would have liked to have found out first.

Anyway he didn't have the results in yet for Northwood College which we will get in the post tomorrow and then I just have the final wait next Tuesday for Henrietta Barnett.

DD is super happy and it was lovely to see her with her classmates celebrating eachothers achievements. Made me feel a little sad as they will all be going their separate ways in a few months.

They are having their last class photograph taken tomorrow. I will be a blubbering wreck come the end of the school year!
passinby

School steals the limelight

Post by passinby »

Yes, because I did not want this to happen - especially given the enormous effort I've put into the process and the closeness I've felt to my offspring through it all- I have specifically asked our school not to disclose any results until I receive them. The school told me that the letters from the offering (or not) schools usually suggest the school keeps the information confidential until parents have had a chance to receive the information. I think that's only fair. Of course, don't know if they will do as they say.... :)
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

I think I'd be outraged if the head told my daughter she'd been offered a place before I knew! I consider that to be my prerogative (after all, I've prepared her for the exams and paid the entry fees!)

Forgive my naivete, I've never heard of this and didn't even know headteachers were notified at all, let alone in advance. Presumably they would only broadcast the news if all candidates had been successful, otherwise if could be tricky.

One last thought, is your daughter at a state or private school, Ebonysmum?

Most importantly though, many congrats on getting in to her favourite school - you must both be thrilled.
Ebonysmum

Post by Ebonysmum »

cinnamon wrote:I think I'd be outraged if the head told my daughter she'd been offered a place before I knew! I consider that to be my prerogative (after all, I've prepared her for the exams and paid the entry fees!)

Forgive my naivete, I've never heard of this and didn't even know headteachers were notified at all, let alone in advance. Presumably they would only broadcast the news if all candidates had been successful, otherwise if could be tricky.

One last thought, is your daughter at a state or private school, Ebonysmum?

Most importantly though, many congrats on getting in to her favourite school - you must both be thrilled.
I can't lie I was irritated that he told the class beforehand. DD is happy though so I have only expressed my annoyance to my husband.

DD goes to a small private school so I guess it is a big achievement for such a small class as all of the girls who applied for that school have been offered a place.

Anyway today is a new day and I am working from home awaiting the postman to come with those letters. Good luck to all of those waiting too. We can all celebrate later and virtually clink glasses :)
solimum

Post by solimum »

DD goes to a small private school so I guess it is a big achievement for such a small class as all of the girls who applied for that school have been offered a place.
One local private prep takes out large adverts listing all their successful entrants to various schools, though you often notice the same children listed multiple times...