Scholarships and bursaries

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dinah

Bursaries

Post by dinah »

You could do a lot worse than look at Christ's Hospital, Horsham. Nearly every place is subsidised and huge emphasis is placed on music,drama, sport, D of E, community service etc etc the list is endless. You have to be reasonably bright as well but they are more interested in children who have the potential to grab all the opportunities the school has to offer with both hands. The uniform is a delight as well!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

In my experience I think to get a huge bursary the child needs to be exceptional in a certain field or have huge potential and not just be very bright. I also know that schools like parents to pay something towards the school fees because they feel that trying to find some of the fees means that parents will not take the opportunity forgranted i.e. nothing to lose if they pay nothing.

I know Winchester wants to offer 12 free places in each year group plus more means tested bursaries, however it has said that it will raise its fees so it can fund this. I don't think it should be other parents paying for children to get bursaries but it should be through the school doing other forms of fund-raising. If a school wants to offer more bursaries then thats its decision, not the full fee-paying parents decision so they shouldn't foot the bill.
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks for all the help/advice. We've finally decided to try for Chelmsford County High, as they are broad and put her down for a scholarship/bursary at Felsted. She loved both schools and I felt very comfortable with the idea of her in either of them. I'm not ready for her to board yet, even if she is.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Good luck and keep us posted about your ds and dd. :)
moved

Post by moved »

Did you consider the advance scholarship route for your son? Eton's exam is this summer.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I considered it two years ago when my son was in Year 3 but they have to have been in state school for three years before the exam and our son couldn't spend another three years in a state school or being home-educated so we asked prep schools for help. Harrows junior scholarship does not require yo to have come from state school, but its not a suitable school for our son.
moved

Post by moved »

That is a shame, my cousin's son, who was in a lovely Catholic state school took it. I didn't realise that it had to be state only. Tonbridge offer a junior scholarship to children currently educated in prep schools. The scholarships are only available to the academically very able and there can be a top up if necessary.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Didn't know Tonbridge had one - oh well, too late now and my other ds (bless) just isn't exceptional in any field, except cheek! :lol:
panda

Post by panda »

Hello,

If one has to apply for a bursary, what information is required?

I know they want copies of P60 and bank statements.

Thanks.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

In our experience it depended on the school. We asked for the applications forms for two.

One needed detailed comments on, for example, whether the grandparents gave money to help the child. Another question included a 'current valuation' of the house, in addition to mortgage costs, etc.

The other was much more general and (some might say) less 'intrusive'.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now