Loughborough/Ratcliffe

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heidiho

Loughborough/Ratcliffe

Post by heidiho »

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had advice on obtaining a place at Loughborough Grammar or Ratcliffe College in Leicestershire for our Son. I am new to this and wondering how difficult it is to get a place and what practice papers he should do. The tests are in January 2009. Any advice greatly received.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Although neither are academic hot houses I would say the standard of teaching is far better at Loughborough. Approx 2/5 at Ratcliffe leave after GCSE which is exceptionally high for an independent school - they take a very wide range of ability so I wouldn't worry about entry.

Loughboroughs entry is also below grammar school entry with most coming from primary schools at 11+ with a written paper in English, Maths and VR. This school is in the Good Schools Guide and Ratcliffe is not. I don't know the exam format but I'm sure bond assessments and nfer will be more than adequate.

If he's above average/bright then Loughborough will probably be the best choice and below average then Ratcliffe. Have you thought of any others such as Oakham?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Assorted bits of info:
I know that there are quite a number of children going all through both schools from the prep. ratcliffe has expanded its prep over recent years and some of the years are full with waiting lists. ratcliffe also takes from grace dieu.
Used to be said that Ratcliffe exam was "difficult to fail" but in recent years have heard that more have.
Loughborough takes most of Fairfield;s intake.
Kids I knew who took Loughborough also passed Nottingham High / Trent etc.
Tricky to fully compare standard of exam with Grammar schools as there aren't any around there.
Loughborough also has a year 6 form (exam in year 5)
Ratcliffe takes some at year 9.
heidiho

Post by heidiho »

Thanks for that. No I had not considered Oakham as is quite a bit further away but is a possibility. Is it a much better school? I feel he is average at school having just acheived levels 4A in year 6 mock sats. However I feel he could flourish more in the correct environment.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

[quote]Admission
Boys and girls, boarding or day, are admitted to Oakham in the Lower School between the ages of 10 and 12 years. Members of the Lower School automatically enter the Middle School and will not normally be required to sit a further examination. However, the expectation is that their academic attainment will be equivalent to 55% at Common Entrance.

Candidates, who must be formally registered, will be asked to come to the School for an examination. This usually takes place in January for those hoping to enter the School in the following September. Arrangements can be made for candidates from overseas to sit the examination abroad. The overseas entrance procedure involves written papers in English and Mathematics, a diagnostic test of writing and learning skills and an interview.

The examination seeks to discover the inherent potential of the candidate. Since the children come from a wide variety of schools, no specific academic instruction along prepared lines is expected. We hope, however, for neat presentation of written work, competence in spelling and grammar, fluency in reading and a sound basic knowledge of the current primary school mathematics syllabus. The examination is reviewed annually to keep abreast of any changes in national primary education. It is not a requirement that the child should have begun the study of a foreign language.

In assessing each candidate, great importance is attached to a detailed report from the Headmaster or Headmistress of the pupil’s present school. Copies of past written papers are not released. It is intended that no child should be at an advantage over any other child as a result of specific “crammingâ€
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

We live in Leicestershire and our son has just started at Rugby. Is that a possibility for you?
DD97

Post by DD97 »

All Ratcliffe students go on to sixth form. In the past a proportion have moved out of the school to other sixth form facilities. However, Ratcliffe has recently opened a new state of the art sixth form centre and this year retained virtually of its students.

I would agree that there are a broader range of abilities at Ratcliffe, as all primary students are automatically offered places etc. In recent years demand for the school at Yr 6, 7 & 9 has increased and there are now always a proportion of those taking the entrance exam who are turned down. This obviously results in the acadmic level of students becoming higher. Despite a broad range of abilities I think they achieve almost 100% (5 GCSEs) with over a third of results being A/A*
DD97

Post by DD97 »

Just wanted to mentioned that Lboro tend to be looking for pupils who have achieved level 5 in all three subjects at KS2. Obviously this is by no means 'fixed' as the results of the entrance exam are key.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now