Independent Schools in Gloucestershire

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I am well informed about most schools! :lol: :lol: Malvern is not a girls school though, and I don't think I've offered much advice about girls schools - have I? :?
The last time I looked Malvern Girls College was a girls' school, yes. I think it is now called Malvern St James, having merged with another school, but until a year or so ago it was called Malvern Girls' College and is a very well known school (to those of us with daughters anyway).
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I assumed you meant this one:

http://www.malcol.net/

so I apologise! :D
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I assumed you meant this one:

http://www.malcol.net/

so I apologise! :D
Don't mention it. I hope we are being of some assistance to Silverflora. :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

:oops:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

CLC is better than the coed Malvern, however I personally think there is TOO much money there. I have a friend whose daughter boards and there seems to be no cap on pocket money. My friend gives her daughter £2 per week but some girls have easily £250 per week or more (the school may dispute this but it happens), and are allowed to go shopping and spend it on whatever they want - except drink/drugs, obviously. Many girls buy more popular girls presents! :shock:

I know the schools I am looking at for my sons have lots of money but boys are different. They don't generally care what each other wears and they are not allowed to go shopping. I think CLC could easily be an environment where girls develop eating disorders and where girls place more value in looks. That said, every child is different. :)

Who wants to have a go at me first for generalising? :roll:
silverflora

Post by silverflora »

Thank you to you both (Tipsy and KES parent) for comments and for highlighting points to think about when choosing schools.

I should have mentioned that DD would be attending as a day girl, and as such I hope I would be able to keep tabs on any worrying behaviour if and when it develops. Although we don't need a scholarship to send her there, I am thinking of it as a way of to giving her a self confidence boost, and hence my questions regarding of how best to prepare her for the exams. I like the idea that she works hard for them and achieves something that matters - hopefully a lesson for life?!!.

Interestingly, I have looked at Malvern St James for younger DD who is not as able academically. I liked it and think it will suit her well. I had hoped both DDs could attend the same school, but it is not meant to be..
hopeforthebest

Post by hopeforthebest »

Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Thurlow

Independent schools in Cheltenham - Boys

Post by Claire Thurlow »

Interesting info about CLC.

My son has just taken his 11+ and sadly has not been very successful. He is in the twilight zone for Crypt but not for Pates or Tommies.He is a bright lad, but very young (31st Aug birthday) and I think was overwhelmed on the day.

As we are currently living in Surrey, we are not eligible to apply for Glos Comps as we are outside the catchment area (not an issue for grammars).

We had hoped to leave the independent sector for financial reasons, but look like we will have to stick with it. Being new to the area, I would really appreciate any insight into independents that have a warm, friendly atmosphere, and are preferably co-ed. He would be a day boy and we are flexible on location - as we have not moved yet.

Thank you!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

These schools may tick your boxes:

Bredon School - particularly nurturing and good for a child who is more sensitive

Rendcombe College- as above

Wycliffe College

Dean Close (has prep school)

King's School

St Edward's school

I don't know anything about the last two but the top two may be more what you are looking for although the middle two are very good. I have left some of the really posh schools out such as Cheltenham College and Malvern but you may like these as well.
Claire Thurlow

Post by Claire Thurlow »

Thanks Mama Mia.

It is a real help to have suggestions from parents who are local.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now