Everything else Independent

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tosca,

Your post sums up so eloquently why I will never teach in a Private school again or send my child to one -
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

huntlie wrote:Gosh, tipsy, did I read you right? Only 100 sat the exam, and 50% had IQ under 100? Makes my blood boil - all these rich thick kids! My beloved grandson has an IQ of 144 but is in a mediocre Comprehensive where his A level lessons are conversations between him & the teacher whilst the rabble, all claiming their EMAs, squabble behind them... my son won't be making that mistake with my granddaughter!
Huntlie, these were kids who were applying for a Junior Scholarship which you are only entitled to if you've been in the state sector. They pay 100% of your fees, so these were children who couldn't afford Eton. :lol:
Jess

Post by Jess »

I can only assume that Tosca's post was a joke...at least I hope it was. Are you 'Mary Whitehouse' in disguise?
Jess

Post by Jess »

Me again. I just wanted to add a few more thoughts to this debate. Apologies if this turns out to be an essay...

Both of my DC are at an independent school. I would never have thought that this would be the case-both my DH and I were state educated, he at a grammar and me at a comp. I truly believe that a good state education beats an education at private school every time-education for us is about more than just passing exams and in my view state education is a much better foundation for real life.

However, not all of us are able to access a good state education, and when we were looking for a school for my DD, our local primary school just did not feel right for her. There were a variety of reasons for this but I don't feel it's necessary for me to go into them here.

We chose her independent school very carefully and rejected many of the 'obvious' local prep school options very early in the process, mostly because we felt they catered for people with views like those expressed by Tosca-and that's not us. They also felt very 'one size fits all'; one head obviously thought it was a good idea to ask all the children in the final year class to stand up and say where they were going to school next. We were obviously meant to be impressed by Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Wycombe Abbey etc. We weren't.

We found a lovely, small, non-selective school that went up to 11 years old (I think aged 13 is too old to still be in your first school) which was also very inclusive, welcoming children with SEN. Neither of our children have SEN but it is important to us that the school welcome children that do.

I can honestly say that I haven't come across any stereotypical private shcool parents of the type described in this and other threads. They range from 'first time buyers' to those who were educated at boarding schools, from those who are very well off to those who sacrifice a lot to pay the fees, from those whose fees are paid by grandparents to those on bursaries.

My point is that not all independent schools are the same, just as not all state schools are the same. I disagree with people on both sides of the debate who adopt an 'I'd never send my child to a state/independent school' position. Depends on the child, depends on the school, depends on the circumstances.

Sorry, it has turned out to be an essay...
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Jess,

I agree with most of your points although funnily enough I sent my kids to independents because I too think education is much more than passing exams, but I feel that this is the case with most state schools (not GS). In my sons prep school 1/3 of the teaching day is for academic subjects and the rest for sport, societies, community service and leadership opportunities. In fact my son was researching who to call to come and talk at his zoology society which I think is a life skill - research, talking to adults, organising timetables, liasing with staff...and all at age 10. I don't think this is just passing exams.
Tosca

Post by Tosca »

Hello, I have just returned home from my local hostelry and am shocked at the amount of abuse directed at me for expressing an honest opinion. Can I remind you that Tipsy set up this thread so that we could celebrate our children's successes, express our opinions and describe our experiences without fear of attack or of being called "snobs". If you are resentful of independent schools, then I respect that as a legitimate opinion, you do not have to read this thread and feel free to go elsewhere. If we were to nominate a patron saint of the Independent section, it would certainly be Tipsy, so please can you respect her wishes in this matter. I realise that many of you are extremely helpful in your advice on other sections (especially Guest55) and I have no wish to offend, but please, if you feel drawn to non-constructive criticism, kindly restrain that urge and vacate this thread. Anyway, thank you for your comments.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

New grumble:

Who do you complain to when your son is on a scholarship and you have a complaint about the Head? I wish I could explain but I can't! Anyway its not seriously bad but something I'm unhappy with and I don't know what to do. Any advice?
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:New grumble:

Who do you complain to when your son is on a scholarship and you have a complaint about the Head? I wish I could explain but I can't! Anyway its not seriously bad but something I'm unhappy with and I don't know what to do. Any advice?
Depends how big the scholarship is, Tipsy, and what the Head has done! I think we will need a bit more info before we can advise you.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Tosca, I personally feel that that the replies to your 'honest opinion' were incredibly restrained and polite. If you think this was 'abuse' or 'attack', I fear you may have led an incredibly sheltered life!

If your 'legitimate opinion' is typical of families who have historically associated themselves with the top public schools, I would politely suggest that they are not the most appropriate people to be leading our country.

This is my own humble :lol: opinion and I certainly have no wish to offend either!

Apologies, St Tipsy, I'm looking forward to the halo-polishing pics in Rehab! :D
AB

Post by AB »

sycamore wrote: St Tipsy
Tosca,

I think you need to research further the sanctity of sainthood. Whilst your deep devotion and eternal gratitude to Tipsy are glaringly apparent, the attributes necessary before someone can be declared/canonized as a Saint are quite specific.

AB,
a normal earthling suffering from over-exposure to red angel wings all over the forum :lol:

Tipsy,

can you not sound out the Deputy Head or is he/she involved as well?