New here - Intro and please help with nerves

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Freya

Post by Freya »

Loopylooloo (love the name), Perplexed, Tipsy and Rob - thanks again for all your points. This is really helping me guys!

I'm relieved to be reassured that here in the sticks competition academically may not be so tough and that with his rugby skills he may be quite desirable. We will manage to fit in some practice papers before the 17th (yikes) :shock:

I may as well say: the two schools are Christ College, Brecon (Founded by Henry VIII) and Llandovery College (recent international players include Andy Powell and many rugby boys attending the school become signed to one of the 4 regional rugby clubs as elite academy players. although Christ College has elite academy players also).

Llandovery is the furthest school from us and I am concerned about how much time DS will have what with after school practice, prep, travelling home, club training, school on saturday, school matches on Saturday and club training or match on Sunday!!! If DS attended the nearer school it would free up a bit extra time.

We are pretty convinced that we have to give DS the opportunity to develop his rugby as far as he is able or wishes to and thanks for all the positive encouragement around this. As you say, Rob, we don't want to be saying 'what if?'. If he loses interest or does not develop physically then so be it (though it is the national religion here in Wales and there are positions for every shape and size). The local comprehensive also has players progressing through the rugby setup. Last year one of their boys represented Wales at U16 and is now part of Cardiff Blues elite U18 acadamy. Two more are coming through also. I don't think these boys are pushed academically though and are even 'let off' some work or excused low standard work as they are 'rugby boys'. I want DS to have an excellent education to fall back on.

Rob - OMG I'm surprised that children are out of full time schooling in tennis that young!! How did that make you and your DD feel? You must have been very proud of her making the finals against such opposition!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

As far as schools go in my opinion, Christ's is far better than Llandovery. As for Rugby I could not comment although I have heard of the annual match between Christ's and LLandovery. Now I know the schools, you're looking at I would certainly choose Christ's because its better academically given its very wide ability range, is better value for money and value added and is closer to home.

Entrance is getting more selective because of its popularity but it is still very relaxed with its entrance criteria. This may change in the next 5 years due to its rising popularity so I think you'll be fine. Have you spoken to them in detail about DS or have you just looked at the prospectus?
Freya

Post by Freya »

Hi Tipsy

Christ college is right next door to DS's primary school and they use the facilities all the time. DS knows quite a few boys who go there already and we have visited the school often. We have also spoken to the head about DS and she said he sounded like a credible candidate. DS still prefers Llandovery and prefers Local comp best.

Here is how it sits:

Academic: 1. Christ College 2. Llandovery 3. Local Comp

Rugby: 1. Llandovery 2. Local Comp 3. Christ College

DS pref: 1. Local Comp 2. Llandovery 3. Christ College

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Llandovery have a new Head who is apparently shaking things up a bit and improving performance.

This is as far as we have got.

What makes you think Christ College is rising in popularity? In 2007 they only had 15 boys in year 7 so everyone had to play rugby! LOL to add to that there were only 9 girls so they couldn't form a netball team. Having said this I know they have been marketing a fair bit since then.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Freya,

My info is based on Year 9 entrance when most prep school pupils enter. I just think that it is a great school that doesn't place all your eggs in one basket. It is great at Rugby, plus being close to home it should still be relatively convenient to send DS to his outside club, plus its academic (97% to university is astonishing based on its selection process) so if all else fails he gets a great education. The fact that 20+ pupils have represented their country in 10 different sports puts it close to top sports-wise, especially considering the school is quite small.

BUT this is all just my opinion and I'm sure he'd still get a great education at Llandovery. Sometimes its easy to not appreciate the local school and I wonder if your son would feel less embarrassed amongst local friends if he went to a private school farther away then the posh school next door. Has he given you clear reasons why he prefers Llandovery?
Freya

Post by Freya »

Hi Tipsy

Thanks for being a great sounding board. Personally I like Christ College very much. What you say makes a lot of sense and deep down I think I would be happier if he went to Christ's. I just feel bad that his own choice would be the comp but could accept going to Llandovery only for us to then send him to Christ's.

We have talked quite a lot about the schools (trying to keep it light with no pressure etc) He seems slightly worried by local boys attitudes towards Christ College pupils. He is a very popular boy so I suppose he thinks he will lose the regard he enjoys currently.

We've been practicing the NVR tests today and he's up to 65% now - a leap of 15% YEY! :lol: thanks everyone for the encouragement!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My final word (unless you say otherwise) is that the reasons he is poular now will remain the reasons he would be popular at an independent school. The sporty boys are always the most popular!

I have a very naughty idea. Tell him if he gets a scholarship to Christs then you'll invest a portion of the petrol costs getting to Llandovery into decent sports kits etc (or extra pocket money) for him if he chooses Christs! :wink:

If my sons win any non-means tested scholarships then, if I can afford too, I plan to put the money aside for them for later so they realise that working hard did pay! DS2 has already started looking for a cheaper senior school than his brother might go to so he can have the money that we would have spent :shock: - mmm I think not! :roll:
Freya

Post by Freya »

LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
zorro

Post by zorro »

Dear Loopy,
I agree with you 100%.
My Ds went to state primary and is now in his second term at an independent. We get the response " that's so chavvy" about 20 times a day !! I hope it stops soon - it's getting irritating!

Zorro
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

We get it from independent educated daughter, but more so from state educated son. We find it irritating/amusing too! They can never explain in any other words what it is that makes them find it chavvy - I find that chavvy!!

P.S. Don't hold too many hopes - this has lasted several years now, the only improvement seems to have been that some people have moved out of the "chav" category in their estimation - or rather they fail to remember that they once categorised them as "chavs".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now