exam interview and presentation

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

The more I think about it the more I like the Morocco idea as we have plenty of souvenirs he could choose from and I think it would be more visually interesting than his skateboarding. Your advice has been great, many thanks. Presentation is on February 2nd so will post on here what he decides to do and how it went if you're interested. These exams are nearly as stressful for me as they are for him. I would love him to do well and be offered a place at the school of his choice as he doesn't like the local state high school and is desperatley hoping he won't have to go there.
AB

Post by AB »

Good luck.

It does look more interesting whilst secretly helping him to remember his speech effortlessly. :lol:

My children only want to talk about football and PC games if asked to choose a topic. :roll: :roll: I fall asleep every time internally; much as I know they love their teams but how much football can a person take??

Mind you, the Sports writers in the good papers do fantastic write ups and make the game sound so, so good.. if he really wants to do the skateboarding, let him try it out to see if it'll pan out.

PS. with regards to his NVR test on the other thread, it's only a blip. He was keen to do it tonight and if you tell him it's normal to panic a little but at the real thing, just plug on because everyone is doing the same..he can see his mistakes were after he started worrying..
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

I know what you mean when you say you fall asleep internally because I do the same when son rambles on about the ollys, verts, full pipes etc. he has done at the skate park every weekend as I dont understand what he is on about half the time. I always make sure I look interested and respond at the right moments though! Thanks for your NVR advice, I will tell him what you said. Think that is trickiest exam of all.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

That's an interesting thing to do at an interview!!

Good luck with it - I hope it all goes well for you both.
Sassie'sDad

Feedbak from interview

Post by Sassie'sDad »

DD took entrance and scholarship on same day preceded by interviews. Must admit to having wrestled with my conscience and slept less well at the thought she was being subjected to such a demanding day! - With another day on Saturday of similar kind. - Not that she had any reservations, she got me to take her on a 'reccy' soon after enrolment. I was astonished how she knew her way round ..."the internet Silly!!!"

Well horses mouth comments were enlightening. Each interview was about six minutes (two hours allotted in personal timetable stood my hair on end) Usual general questions were asked, then about previous schools and spell of home schooling. Clearly present school's report and school histories has been thoroughly scrutinised. The comment was made "Your D sounds rather clever(not), did he come here?(no)" To which DD retorted "he had to give up his own degree to bring up my eldest sister!" Monitor badge was remarked upon with question, "would you like to be a prefect, and if you came here would you be prepared to show visitors round the school?"

DD's assessment of scholarship papers was no probs ... easier than computerised entrance!

Most interesting of all were the comments of Senior girls (chaperoning during waiting time and over lunch) don't worry, we all thought we had done badly in the exam ... it is the interview which matters... and we know we are all scholars! I have to say the pastoral care and attention to detail on every level, the absence of stuffiness or snobbishness was a real breath of fresh air and beacon of hope!
AB

Post by AB »

Sassie's Dad,
I have had this pic for a long time and this seems to say it all for us parents and what we want to do for our children.( not bad swearing, of course)

Your posts today just reminded me of it and I thought I'd share it with you and all the others who read the forum.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Lovely picture, AB. I always thought you were an old softie really. :D
AB

Post by AB »

Lovely picture, AB. I always thought you were an old softie really.
You haven't seen my 6-pack at the Hotel??? 8)
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

That is a lovely picture which sums up my feelings perfectly at the moment. Thankyou for posting it :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please no skateboard - they may not allow it indoors if they have expensive oak floors ....