statistics for GS 11+ intake

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Huntlie, it does sound as though in your area you have some private prep schools that teach very thoroughly towards the 11+ grammar entrance exam, and an 11+ test that is perhaps not a true test of ability.

What does the 11+ test for this particular grammar school consist of? Is it something that parents in the area who cannot afford prep schools or private tuition can help their child with at home? Is it truly the lost cause you seem to feel it is? If so, that is v. unfair and you perhaps should run some kind of campaign along with your councillor and MPs to change the test, and also to improve the education at the local primary schools for the more able pupils.
vas

Post by vas »

Some how I doubt a prep school child pushes away the chance of a grammar school place for a state school child. Majority of prep kids (60%-75%) actually go to a private secondary rather than a grammar school. All my nephews, nieces and friends' kids had no problem attaining grammar school places and scholarships from very selective privates after attending very ordinary state schools. As long as the child is reasonably bright and the parents are willing to support them, things are very achievable.

Much as the system is very competitive and stressful, prep schools are not tutoring bodies for 11+ grammar places. It's a pity if this is so in your area.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Just because a child goes to prep school it does not mean that they are not really that bright enough to get into grammar school and that somehow the state school pupils are brighter. Their are very able pupils at state school but IMO, there are a larger number of very able children, with parents struggling to pay, at prep schools because the state sector has failed them so its not surprising that a large percentage get in. Most parents want to send their kids to good state primary schools but it is not always an option, so it is also not surprising that they still want a good state senior school when their children are due to leave prep school.

Also a lot of these prep schools select either in reception or Year 3 so if you're child is able to get into the prep then its highly likely they would get into the grammar.
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Well its a fact of life that overall, prep educated kids will have a higher chance of passing 11+ ,I think.What I find more galling is parents who live way out of the area, or in my case, city, and have their kids over tutored to take places from children living in the city(whether such pupils come from rich/poor homes).In most cases, these out of city parents live in leafy suburbs, quant villages etc and have access to the best comprehensive schools in the region.indeed they make conscious deceions to live 'rurally' in order not to have to cope with the 'diversity' city life offers.And yet they STILL persist on the grammar route for nothing more than prestige.They 'bus' thier children into the 'grimy' city - such journeys take upto an hour and a half. This is surely unfair on their own kids no to mention the effect it has on bright kids in the city.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

May I suggest you consider the following scenario?

Two children - equally bright at 7 - but one then goes to a Prep which actively coaches for the 11+ [yes they do exist around here - they promote their 11 successes!!]

Which of these stands a greater chance of qualifying at 11? Most people would agree that the former is more likely.

I do see - every year - a few children like this - they don't cope in a GS and sometimes end up feeling overwhelmed. Parents then expect copious amounts of 'extra help' above and beyond what is reasonable for staff to supply.

I feel sorry for such children ....
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Again its the systems fault not the parents. Who chooses grammar school for prestige? Surely its because they believe it to be the best free education!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Guest55,

Unless its a poor (quality/ethos) private school, they would generally discourage such a child from going to grammar school. Its likely that this kid was getting private tution as well. In fact I woudn't be surprised if most parents opting for grammar whose kids are at prep school still get private tuition. :roll:
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Whether or not it is the a netter standard of education than the best comprehensives in the region is debatable!However, even if this is so, surely this should be balanced on the quality of life such long journeys to school and back, involve? It is the systems fault because such parents should not be trusted to make a measured decision, and local grammar schools should be for local children. Hopefully , this is the process of being addressed...perhaps parents will then think twice before deserting a city knowing they can have it both ways because they have the money?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Again its the systems fault not the parents
I do feel the parents do have some contribution here! Some parents - even when told their child is not coping and is very unhappy - still keep their children at an unsuitable GS.

Tipsy some Private schools stop at 11 or 13 - they certainly DO aim at 11+ round here.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Interesting article this morning in the Times "Grammar schools are accused of bias after adopting ‘state pupils first’ policy":

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 671757.ece

I wonder if this will catch on...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now