Entrance Exam Pass Mark

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I'm from Trafford (bet you couldn't guess that from my name :wink: ) and I too have heard the 50% mark for MGS. However, that is only hearsay rather than from any personal experience yet.

In my experience, I think if you have a boy who has passed/is capable of passing the Alty Boys exam, then with good preparation he will have an excellent chance of passing MGS too.

The only negative I hear about MGS really is that the school is excellent for those boys who are very academic, very sporty or very extrovert and not necessarily as good a deal for those who aren't.
Zed 1

Post by Zed 1 »

Hi everyone,

The 'Expensive Plan B' is in place!
This morning DS received an offer from Manchester Grammar ...although it's full fee paying, no bursary :cry:

Still hoping for one of the trafford grammars on allocation day, though :wink: ...not long to wait!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well done on MGS - not an easy school to get into to say the least and acaedmically one of the best in the country! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good luck for the Trafford Grammars!! Though Plan B will be great - even if a leeetle more taxing on the bank account!!

Re the 50% pass mark, it is all relative. If I took Maths A level now - believe me 50% would be a miracle - however if I took maths GCSE I would be expecting a much much higher mark.
Ultimately it comes down to how hard and testing the exam is, some are a doddle to get 90% in and you may need 95% to pass and get a place, others have a pass mark of 50% say - may sound easier but actually the paper is harder and they will have done really well to pass.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now