Independent School Exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ABC

Independent School Exams

Post by ABC »

I have a son in Year 5 of a state Primary School, unfortunately there aren't any grammar schools in our area, so had been thinking of trying for a private secondary school at 11. I've been reading through a few of the messages on the forum and wonder if I should apply the same principle to private school entrance exams as grammar school ones? I have bought a couple of NFER practice papers, is year 5 too early to start? He's a bright boy and in the top groups in his class, but along with a bit of coaching from me, is this enough? Will he have difficulty if up against kids who have been in private prep schools all their lives? Any tips or advice would be great! Thanks :)

Post by Guest »

This site offers a wealth of information for parents facing decisions like yours so I suggest you have a good read of the forum. I think for optimum results YR 5 is a good time to start. It’s the time I started to prepare my child – her first test is next month!

Post by Guest »

We prepared in the same way for both grammar and independent schools. The content is very similar in our experience. We too started preparing in year 5 and our child went to a pretty average London state primary school. Any earlier and I think they just get fed up with the whole thing. The difference in the independent school system is that they interview following the tests. We found this a great bonus as it gave us all another chance to see what we thought of the school. The way they conducted the interviews was, we thought, a good insight into the ethos of the school.

Post by Guest »

This time last year I was seeking answers to the very same questions and found this entire website a real support mechanism. I’m certain most of your concerns and questions have been discussed here at some point.

For the deep anxiety factor alone, coaching my bright (but often reluctant) child at home has been a strain. As we hurtle towards the finishing line things are only slightly better. I would only recommend it if your child responds to you well and you’re both ‘enjoying’ the preparation process. Of course, you will have to feel you possess the confidence, knowledge, patience, time etc. to commit to such an undertaking. It is a tall order but an achievable one. This site is testimony to that.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

If you are close to the border of a county that does have Grammar schools it may be worth applying for a Grammar school place in the adjoining county.

For example; Wirral LEA have Grammar schools whilst Cheshire do not. We tutor many students living within five miles of the county boundary and many of them pass and are offered places. Unfortunately, some pass and are not offered places due to over subscription. However, most of these are offered a place on appeal.

If the above does not apply to you, it is important at an early stage to discuss with as many people as you can the content of the relevant test that your child will be sitting. Posting a specific question on this site will almost certainly help. Don't assume that every test in every school is the same and don't assume that every resource claiming to be practice papers are relevant.