Grammar allowed to discriminate against private schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Steve,

I'm not in the huff because I don't understand what you mean. :? How can independents have catchment areas? Anyway, I didn't post this topic on the independent section and if it was on another section then I'd be saying the same thing. :)
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Hi Steve,

I don't understand what you mean. :?
Story of my life mate :)

Even I am not convinced by the strength of my own argument. :lol:

The opinion that good (I know I introduced the word good) comps. and all grammars should be open to all children including those that might have two bites at the cherry, i.e. prep./independent then good comp./grammar or senior independent, encourages politicians to interfere.

Politicians appeal to the lowest common denominator (most votes, it's a democracy thing), in this instance the politicos strive to abolish grammars and tax independents. Resulting in a lose-lose situation.

sallyj
The sad fact for many children is that those families with the money will almost always be the winners in the education 'game'.
steve
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Steve, I am definitely all for more Grammar Schools. :)
meagain

Post by meagain »

With regards to whether or not Poole could operate a 'catchment' system rather than the feeder school system. I live in neighbouring Bournemouth with 2 grammars (1 girls, 1 boys) which has the 11 plus system with NO catchment or feeder school system. i.e. super selective. Each year pupils from Poole schools take the Bournemouth 11 plus. Some will pass and stay at the Bournemouth grammars (travelling in each day) and others will take the 12 plus in Poole in the following year. Not sure why the 2 LEAs can't have the same system? :?
C'est la vie.
WP

Post by WP »

resmum wrote:A catchment area based on postcode areas in Poole would be much fairer and allow all local children whether state, private or home educated the same chance to try for the grammar.
Yes, they should be able to specify a reasonably shaped catchment area only a little bigger than the borough.
mike1880 wrote:Unless they can find themselves an adjudicator who will adopt the same approach as in Rugby, they're not allowed to give priority to children within the borough, nor are they likely to get away with a catchment that follows the boundary.
That adjudicator has also been misreported: he told Warks that they didn't need to use a circle, and they shouldn't include the Northants town of Daventry, but he also suggested that neighbouring villages in Northants might belong in the catchment. Following the county boundary seems to have been Warwickshire council's idea.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Oh that is interesting. I was beginning to wonder what planet some of these adjudicators are on at the moment. Who are they?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Loopy
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Well they look a pretty impressive lot, maybe it is the reporting of their decisions that is a bit inaccurate.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I do think the decisions have often been misunderstood, but equally I think it a pity that these people, who occupy judicial positions, don't know more law. For example the relative importance of case law (Greenwich) and secondary statute passes them by.
Not that I'm an expert, by the way!
Loopy
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes things seem to have slipped further and further away from the precedent set by the Greenwich thing over the last few years.