Private v state

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Freya

Post by Freya »

Hi Guest55. We received no information about 'working at' grades or levels in any subject. We had to go by percentages in tests and she was scoring 95%+ consistently in maths (because set 4 tests were so easy :roll: )

She did sit year 9 SATS (the last year group to do so in Wales I believe) and she got a level 6 in maths with 7s for english & science. She sat the SATS after we found out about which set she was in and her result formed part of our evidence to have her moved into set 2 for year 10. If she had stayed in set 4 the highest grade she would have been able to achieve at GCSE would have been a grade C.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

I am surprised that levels are not given at least every year -

Presumably KS3 level 6 in Maths alerted you that something was wrong as I would have expected at least a level 7 if not an 8 with a KS2 level 5!

I have worked in a comprehensive so I know that what you are describing is certainly not the norm.
strawb

Post by strawb »

Freya - this school sounds awful! We have a lot more info than that. I have been informed that she is in top sets for everything - so I'm not particularly worried on that score.

But, there are lots of things I would like to discuss and there is no Parents Evening until June. I think their first year at senior school is really important, but so far all we have received is the letter regarding sets and a tracking form. I think that after they send info like this out they should give you an opportunity to discuss it, if required. Ringing the school and trying to track down individual teachers to ask a simple question seems rather silly. There should be at least 2 or 3 ocassions when parents can meet with teachers if required, not one right at the end of the year!

At the moment, I would like to speak to 3 or 4 teachers regarding different things, but have to wait until June to do this! I will have to resort to letter writing - but who to? - one for each teacher? I can see me being labelled the parent from ****. Why is it so difficult?
Freya

Post by Freya »

It was awful for us all and I'm glad to hear that these days things appear much better in terms of communication and assessment. DD is very happy and doing well at a very good (english) 6th form college studying A level chemistry, biology, psychology, GS, critical thinking so we have moved on! :D I just wanted to share the experience as a warning as to what can happen.

strawb: I would email the school setting out the questions for each teacher and ask them to provide a response. Some schools also use homework diaries as a way of communicating with parents as well as a place for noting down / checking homework - maybe (if they are short queries) you could jot your questions under each subject in the diary?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Strawb - don't wait!

Make an appointment with the tutor and then ask about the subjects you are worried about. They can then liaise with the subject teachers - no school should be concerned about approaches from parents.
strawb

Post by strawb »

Guest 55 and Freya

Thanks very much for your help, it's much appreciated. The homework diary and email are great suggestions. Thanks again.
strawb

Post by strawb »

Guest 55 - thanks, that's a great idea. If only all teachers were as helpful as you!!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

This thread is actually a very good one for anyone not having experience of secondary education before (or even those of us who have!!).

When my two older children went to school there wasn't so much interaction between the schools and the parents. OK, we went to Parents' Evening and had letters etc, but things have changed a whole heap since then.

Similary, anyone having no experience of secondary education just won't know what to look out for and how different things can be from primary education.

Can I feel a sticky coming on entitled 'What to Look Out for as a Parent during Secondary Education'?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Unfortunatley loopyloulou, it depends whether the Private school thinks pastoral care is important.

I actually think state schools are, on balance, better at pastoral care because of the 'every child matters' agenda.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now