Foundation Scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Foundation Scholarships

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I know of some senior schools that start at 13 which offer foundation or junior scholarships to pupils aged 10 or 11 which funds them at a prep school for 2/3 years. I was wondering if anyone knows of other schools which offer these in any location and preferably with boarding. The list of boarding schools that I have found that offer this are:

Eton
Harrow
Radley
Rugby (day place)

are there any others which are either coed or a boys school - it doesn't have to be a well known school, thanks.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Millfield used to - not sure now...
mad?
MollieO

Post by MollieO »

Oundle have a entry at 11 or 13 with scholarships available from 11.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

A few more:

Tonbridge (attending prep elsewhere for 2 years)
Kingston Grammar
Wellingborough (but you have to re-compete for your scholarship at 13 and again at 16 :shock: )
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks for this, these are helpful, but I am specifically looking at a 13+ school only as my friend wants to keep DS in current prep school.
MollieO

Post by MollieO »

Most schools that offer foundation stage scholarships will also want to chose the prep school. It may be unlikely therefore that your friend's child can stay at their existing prep unless it is one of the ones chosen by the 13+ school.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It definitely is one of the prep schools that has been recommended by two of the senior schools I've mentioned, but agree that other schools may not be as accommodating.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:It definitely is one of the prep schools that has been recommended by two of the senior schools I've mentioned, but agree that other schools may not be as accommodating.
Just noticed the ticker, Well done on the weight loss TIPSY :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks! :D
Flamenco

Re: Foundation Scholarships

Post by Flamenco »

Why I want Sun readers at Eton
Sally-Anne wrote:This thread is reaching the stage where it is potentially offensive to genuine Forum users who read particular newspapers.

It has therefore been locked.

Sally-Anne
Sorry Sally-Ann, but I only just want to congratulate Bradley Mitchell.
T.i.p.s.y wrote:I know of some senior schools that start at 13 which offer foundation or junior scholarships to pupils aged 10 or 11 which funds them at a prep school for 2/3 years. I was wondering if anyone knows of other schools which offer these in any location and preferably with boarding. The list of boarding schools that I have found that offer this are:

Eton
Harrow
Radley
Rugby (day place)
Tipsy:
Valued at £150,000 (or even more), this one must be the king of Foundation Scholarships:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... 284173.ece

Congratulations Brad! What a tremendous job - well done!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now