Decision Time: Independent vs. Grammar

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Do you think KES is advertising online because there is so much competition between Grammars and Independents in Birmingham and they want more kids to opt for them?

I agree with you that Oxbridge shouldn't be spread all over the website but should remain in the additional info section in the prospectus. That wonderful school Winchester :wink: doesn't broad cast who got in but on the destinations page will mention the numbers going to each uni and leave it up to the parents to decide whether its prestigious, or not.
Yes, that is one reason I have such huge admiration for Winchester - they know that boasting is for new money, and that doing it would attract the wrong kind of parents. Although no doubt even Winchester has to accept a bit of new money these days! :lol:

You are definitely right about the KE grammars and independents in Birmingham - I think it is all rather unseemly. The indies seem to be fighting to get kids with the aid of massive bursaries, whereas the King Edward Foundation as an entity caters perfectly well for very bright but not terribly well off children via its 5 grammar schools, and there is not really much need for subsidised places in the independent schools. I certainly felt no resentment that I couldn't afford the independent schools for my older kids and had to make do with the grammars, they are excellent schools for the vast majority of children who get places.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

and at what point did I say that a very selective intake makes a school better? Steve, you have no idea on my views on selection. :? I certainly am not looking for a selective school for DS2 but that does not mean his school will not be as good as DS1's!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Steve, you have no idea on my views on selection. :? !
Then please share your views.

Here, let me help, let me go first. :)

I have had a difficult journey with three kids, boys/girl/indies/state/grammars/moved house twice to get onto the same school catchment (got chopped off)/almost forgot the specials needs :)

What I have learnt on my journey is that it is not the best school but the best school (available given many factors :roll: ) for your child.

I believe this forum is about helping and sharing.

Now, would like to hear your views.

steve
mz

Post by mz »

Dear parents,

Thanks for your replies.

Discussed with my DD, she has made her mind up and wants to go to Kendrick if she gets a place. Her reasons are she knows
a few Kendrick girls there, she also want to save us money and it is easier for her to travel to Reading than Guildford.

The 2nd choice would be Guildford if she doesn't get a place at Kendrick. We're just waiting for the letter on 3rd march, fingers crossed.

mz
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I may be wrong but I was under the impression that all children are evaluated by MIDYIS which is not an entry test but an evaluation of intelligence at some point during Year 7 or Year 9 dependent on entry to senior school.

http://www.cemcentre.org/RenderPage.asp?LinkID=11410000

In most inspection reports I have seen it has stated the MIDYIS scores for children and it then says whether it is above/below maintained schools or maintained selective schools.

quote from GH inspection report:
Standardised tests taken after entry in Year 7 indicate that the ability of approximately two-thirds of the pupils is far above the national average. If pupils are performing in line with their abilities their results will be above the average for all maintained selective secondary schools. The ability profile does not change in the sixth form.
As for selectivity I suppose that is personal opinion. Winchester is far more selective than Grammar Schools with 3/5 being in the top 5% nationally whereas I think GS entry is above 25%. I would say GS is selective and some indie's are very selective. Of course some GS are more selective than others as they take the top scores and have no catchment area. I would assume it highly likely that these GS easily take plenty of kids in the top 5%.
Not all secondary schools take this test. I know the two local GS don't but some of the local secondaries do.

The quote re-GH suggests to me that 2/3's of the pupils fall above the 50% national average. ' far above' could mean anything above this.

Going back to the original post. Kendrick is my local grammar it falls within your spec of 'super selective'. It has no catchment and only the top 96 girls achieve a place. It has also been in to top 10 GS list for many years.
As an aside, all the GS's in Slough also have no catchment and allow only the top passes a place. Last year Langley had over 1100 children sit their test. Only the top 145 were offered places.

The original poster may then want to weigh other points about her chosen schools such as A-level results and Uni places.
hopeful 4

Post by hopeful 4 »

Good for her and you that she cares about your financial position.

And she will still be going to a fantastic school.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

mz wrote:Dear parents,

Thanks for your replies.

Discussed with my DD, she has made her mind up and wants to go to Kendrick if she gets a place. Her reasons are she knows
a few Kendrick girls there, she also want to save us money and it is easier for her to travel to Reading than Guildford.

The 2nd choice would be Guildford if she doesn't get a place at Kendrick. We're just waiting for the letter on 3rd march, fingers crossed.

mz
Hi mz,

Good luck and best wishes for the 3rd of March.

Pleased that you have taken into account your child's happiness.

Happy children are successful children. :)

steve
CHmum

Post by CHmum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Because my post was about Dinah's comments! Now Steve and I have an issue so why drag yourself into it?
You don't take criticism well, do you Tipsy? You are very rude.
mad?

Post by mad? »

mz wrote:Dear parents,

Thanks for your replies.

mz
Good luck and how nice to have a potential choice. It is, as another mother says, horses for courses, but I think the more you can minimize travel the better for the lives of all in general...
mad?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

mz said

Delighted you've made your decision mz! Fingers crossed for tomorrow...
Loopy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now