WESTMINSTER UNDER SCHOOL, COLET COURT OR HABS?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

whichschool

Post by whichschool »

Hi

Would be really grateful for any experiences people have with the 3 schools mentioned.

We're considering them for our son at 7+ (have had final interviews but not received any results yet). If we receive any offers, would like to know as much as possible about the schools, especially from anyone with children at these schools.

We're particularly interested in pastoral care - and if there was any bullying, how it was dealt with.
Is there a particular type of child that fits in best at each of these schools? Have heard that Westminster is 'liberal' - not sure if that means discipline isn't great?

Would honestly be grateful for any advice/information - thanks very much!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Westminster is a good choice if you want to consider keeping your senior school options open. I've never heard anything bad said about Westminster but have heard negative things said about both colet court and habs including arrogance, but not having boys at the school I cannot say that this is correct. Westminster is more liberal in the senior school, but in the sense of a questioning mind and a more adult relationship with the teachers.

I have also heard that some boys get a shock when they start colet court because from being top at their previous school they are often in the bottom stream in comparison to the other boys.
whichschool

Post by whichschool »

Thanks so much for this TIPSY.

It is really helpful to hear other views of a school. We had picked up a feeling that bullying wasn't handled particularly well at one or two of the schools and so were a bit anxious about them.

We obviously just want our son to be happy and to thrive in his environment, rather than feel the strain of too much pressure.

Thanks again.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Westmnister is definitely not a hot house environment and both senior and prep school are anti this.Even though they achieve fantastic results the parents and the school are more rounded and are looking to have an enriching education.

I have many friends with children at St Paul's and Habs and they have said that, on the whole, a large section of the parent body are only interested in how many A's their child can get at the expense of other extra-curricular things such as public speaking and debating.Some of my friends who went to St Paul's as pupils say it's virtually unrecognisable now but feel Westminster has remained rounded.

These comments are about the senior schools and I hope I haven't caused anyone any offence as I am reiterating comments I have heard.
simon

Post by simon »

I don't think that is true about Habs. I have two sons there and enormous effort is taken to get them to do extrcurricular activities. It is recorded on their reports and their tuor always comments on it. The fact that they have late coaches means that well over half the school is doing something after school. Habs wasn't my first choice - we chose it because it was much closer than our alternative where our sons both got scholarships - but we have been really impressed. We agonised a lot but the difference between 10 mins on the coach and 60 minutes by train won in the end. I haven't noticed arrogance as a problem. Amongst my contemporaries, of those who were at St pauls, some did very well but others didn't reach their potential and put it down to the fact that above average intelligence at St pauls is towards the bottom of the class.
whichschool

Post by whichschool »

Thanks for your additional info, Tipsy - really appreciate it.

Simon - thanks for sharing your experiences of HAB. Did your sons go through the prep or did they enter at 11+? The senior school did seem to have some lovely teachers. Also, if you don't mind, which school was your 1st choice?

Thanks again - I'm really grateful for your feedback.
whichschool

Westminster under school or colet court

Post by whichschool »

Hi

Does anyone have personal experience of having a child at Westminster under school or colet court from 7+?

Would really like to hear from you! THanks.
exputney

Post by exputney »

Hi.
I have a son in year 5 at WUS. We applied and got places at Colet Court and King's for year 3 but chose WUS for all sorts of reasons, partly because we were moving close by - the commuting time is hugely important as the workload increases.

It's not what you think - it doesn't feel like a academic pot boiler, everything feels very relaxed. We have a teacher here who was at Colet Court and thinks WUS is much gentler, whilst producing equally brilliant results.

Parents much less glitterati than at Colet Court and there's a much better mix of nationalities.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now