Advice on choice of schools - indie or Grammar?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I think you are wrong Tipsy (did I really say that?!). I had a pretty bad teacher for Ancient Greek - (or at least that's my excuse for getting a "B" :D )
[/quote]

Aha! :lol: A level or O level? (my brother "managed" that on the latter)
sj355
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Aha! :lol: A level or O level? (my brother "managed" that on the latter)
'twas O-Level. To my eternal regret I gave up the A-Level after three days, in favour of a rather less useful subject :D .
Loopy
Thea

Post by Thea »

Very sad if ancient Greek is now taught only in Indies. I did it many years ago at a state comp - very much enjoyed oit - the Greeks were highly entertaining! - shame if it is now confined to the independent sector - why should Indie children have all the fun???? :D
Best Regards,
Thea
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Quite right Thea, and (bringing this thread back on topic) I think if you want a reason to prefer indies over grammars, it is Ancient Greek!! :lol:
Loopy
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Loopyloulou wrote:However I wholeheartedly agree that my B must be worth at least an A* now. I got into one of the better colleges at Oxford with "A"-level grades A,B,C - a feat which today is surely impossible.
apologies for going off topic again :oops:

but I so agree.

Mr Yoyo in 1976 was offered a place to do medicine at Edinburgh with 3 Bs
Miss Yoyo neede 3 A's to do History in 2007
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

yoyo123 wrote: Mr Yoyo in 1976 was offered a place to do medicine at Edinburgh with 3 Bs
Miss Yoyo neede 3 A's to do History in 2007
I hope you are not suggesting that grade inflation is rampant, Mrs Yoyo. We all know that students and teachers are working harder all the time so results are improving year on year, and that is why university offers are so much higher these days.

By the way I can go one better than Mr Yoyo and tell you that a friend of mine was offered a place at a London medical school in return for getting 3 C's in the early 70s - not only that but she was a female applicant in the days when they used to ask you whether you had plans to marry and have a family. If you got the answer to that question wrong then you didn't get a place whatever your grades.
isamum

Post by isamum »

Loopyloulou wrote:Yes I don't disagree (and he certainly ought to have done better!) but my point is that Ancient Greek is the only subject which is almost unique to independent schools, with almost no grammars offering it (do any?) so your brother therefore faced stiffer competition there than in other subjects which would also be studied at grammars (modern greek is of course yet another story).
I know one: http://www.wilsonsschool.sutton.sch.uk/ ... greek.html
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I only know one person who did Ancient Greek.... and I think they are now an Accountant.

Aren't there better things to do with your time?

:wink:

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There certainly are! No one HAS to be an accountant!

Mike