SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shalom

scholarships and bursaries

Post by shalom »

Maybe so, but that head would also need to weigh up if that child -( if it has social/ medical needs) could keep up with the rigours/pace of a highly selective school indie.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Of course! They have to pass the entrance exam.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Re Rugby: According to the website, bursaries are only given out for unexpected reasons like loss of job, unless they are to
augment a scholarship.

Parents or guardians of children already at the School who have not been awarded a Foundationership or
Scholarship may apply for a bursary if there is a significant change in circumstances (for example a reduction
in earnings or a redundancy) which could not reasonably have been foreseen at the time of entry into the
School. In such cases, bursaries would not normally be approved until the pupil has completed one academic
year at Rugby. When considering such applications the Bursaries Committee will take account of a report,
usually from the relevant Housemaster or Housemistress, on the pupil’s contribution to the life of the School.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

KenR wrote:Interestingly I notice that KES and KEHS in B/Ham have now changed tack regarding compliance with the public benefit requirements of the Charities Act 2006. (Check the KE Foundation web site)

They are now saying that they are activity looking at working with and partnering a number of B/Ham academies and they will even potentially provide £2M of funding so long as they can get a commercial sponsor! They have stated however that they will not provide funding directly out of current Foundation reserves or parent fees.
Yes, I have seen that there are notices up, although my eyesight is so bad I haven't got beyond the subject line. I think the point of them looking for a business to co-sponsor an academy is that the business should put up all the funding, leaving the KE Foundation to provide the expertise (and maybe the name!!)
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Corv, I know that they (Rugby) are able to award bursaries for reasons other than academic achievement. I'll show you a letter from them when we next meet!

I have no doubt that they do offer bursaries to high achievers, but I think it important that people are not put off asking to be considered on other grounds.

(edited to add - unless this is a recent change to their conditions... my letter is dated September 2007).
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Some schools offer clergy, teacher, old boy/girl and armed forces bursaries which do not necessarily need the child to be brilliant. My experience over the last few years and from others who have applied on here is that the vast majority of bursaries tend to be for high achievers.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I'd also like to add that Rugby were extremely helpful. They sent the bursary forms in the autumn, allowing us find out the amount offered before the exam. This meant that we could withdraw from the exam if the amount was not sufficient to enable us to accept a place. Rugby also allowed us to register our daughter for the exam without paying the fee until will knew the outcome of the bursary. This was all at their suggestion.

I'm sure that the vast majority of bursaries are offered for those achieving high marks in the entrance exams, but there will be other reasons and it is most definately worth asking...
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

KES parent I am a little offended by your earlier comments regarding Bursaries being there merely to provide a route into the school for children who can pass the entrance test, but can't afford the fees.

This is not the impression we have of the Bursaries offered by KES, but please accept my apologies if you were applying the term more generally.

We have been told that our DS performed exceptionally well on his entrance exam and in his interview with the Chief Master in order to be awarded his assisted place.

We are thrilled that our son has the opportunity to attend this school, and believe that the school will be the right environment for him, trusting the KES selection process and the fact that they believe he is the sort of boy who will thrive there.

However, I think I may be wise to inform him not to tell his peers when he starts that he has an assisted place, as this may be to his detriment in forming new friendships. It is not the boys I am worried about, but the parents!

Although, this has been previously on my mind having had no experience of independent schools, I am actually beginning to worry now whether we have made the right decision in not sending him to his 1st choice King Edwards Grammar which is non fee paying to all.

Naively, we have been so very proud of his achievement and this wonderful opportunity, and not viewed it as a reflection on us being "poor parents."

Perhaps due to my inexperience of private education, I am being a little oversensitive?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi mommyjo,

Congratulations to DS on being awarded a bursary. You mentioned that you have told your son not to tell anyone about his assisted place but I believe that the school expect you not to disclose this anyway. It is usually a spoken, or unspoken rule that bursaries have to remain confidential between the bursar, headmaster, sometimes the secretary and the parents. All the other teachers are usually unaware of those who are on an assisted place.
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Many thanks T.i.p.s.y. Will definitely take that advice on board.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now