SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

It is also the case that both the Scholarship and bursary come very much with strings attached.
They are only available so long as performance (academic) is consistant with expectations and means remain 'meagre'.
zorro

Post by zorro »

naxa,
I know 3 children who are in Y7 at Belmont. One is average and the other 2 are decidedly below average academically. None of them are particularly sporty or talented musically.
The only thing they have in common are well connected and famous parents.
Maybe the school is trying to up the ante academically now but at that time all 3 children passed the entrance exams. I don't know why Mill Hill's fees are so high in comparison with other independents in the area ( Aldenham, Habs etc) though. Maybe that's why their numbers have fallen?
naxa

Post by naxa »

Interesting zorro - I know that since the new headmaster took over at the senior school it has got harder to get into. Perhaps this hasn't filtered down to lower levels in Belmonts (e.g. when the children you know got in it hadn't changed).
As nearly 50% (or more) of those going to Mill Hill senior at 13+ are from Belmont, I'm guessing that they will need to be more selective at the 11+ entry point. That way they can continue to improve academically in the senior school whilst also supporting any of the existing Belmont cohort who are more "average" pupils.

Re fees - also don't understand why so high. The difference is very marked in the senior school. Maybe there are more "extras" included in the basic fees?
Enfieldmum

Post by Enfieldmum »

Mill Hill academically is fairly broad and similiar to Aldenham in its exam results if slightly higher in the league tables. However for day pupils which are the majority it has upped the ante. Last year was very oversubscribed and I know there were 8 out of 18 from my sons prep who failed to get a day place and a couple who were offered boarding only. It may be with the financial climate that numbers are overall down but I understand they are financially fairly secure so should be able to survive the downturn.

Re fees if you look at schools with boarding such as Haileybury, Aldenham, Stowe and Mill Hill they are all very similar fees. Indeed although Aldenham is very reasonable for the first few years I think you may find it is more expensive than Mill Hill for the senior school at £5,584 per term? Day schools in London vary - the more central sometimes the more expensive - I know St Pauls is over £5k.

Re free places at 13+ there are definitely some available at Mill Hill - google 'my free place' - with I believe full fees paid for the 5 years .
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Survey of head teachers by website called Tom-Brown.com shows that over 90% of them had seen an increase in enquiries about bursarial support compared to previous year.

Some 60% of them said that they were planning to increase bursarial support (although this may well be at the expense of scholarships).

A figure of £300m of such scholarship/ bursarial support is mentioned as being available throughout the entire Independent school system each year.
If true that would equate to about £300k on average, or 20-25 children per annum per school.
However like many things in Life, these funds are concentrated mainly in the hands of a minority of the schools. The remainder will provide much more modest support.
Link (moderators is this permitted?) is as follows:
http://www.tom-brown.com/articles/tom-b ... s-weather/
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now