SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FirstTimeBuyer

SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

One of the schools I am interested in for DS1 is the King's School, Canterbury.
Independent, co-ed, with a mainly 13+ entry, supplemented with a smaller 6th form entry (some from local GSs and some from abroad).

Here is the number of full scholarships awarded for 2009 versus 2008

Academic 13+ ....... 7 from 10
Music 13+ ........ 9 from 11
Sports 13+ ......... 3 from 5
Arts 13+ ........ 3 from 7
6th Form (all) ........ 5 from 8

Total ......... 27 from 41

The position is slightly ameliorated by the award of exhibitions (lesser scholarships) - 12 in 2009 from 10 in 2008.

Question: what caused this one third drop in full scholarships awarded?

1. There are 2 bursaries this year from none previously. Two 100% bursaries would be equivalent to ten 20% scholarships in financial terms, or nine allowing for one of them achieved a scholarship. Partial bursaries are more likely, however.
2. It is unlikely that a variation in ability presented for the exams could fluctuate this much, especially as it covers 2 year groups.
3. I suspect another large contributory factor is that as a result of the credit crunch etc, either investments have fallen in value, or income on bank deposits has fallen, and there is simply less money to go around.

Any thoughts?
Has anyone else seen this effect in a school that they are interested in (assuming they publicise their decisions like King's)?
I get the impression from other threads on the board that scholarships decisions are delayed this year - lack of money may be the reason.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Where did you get this info from FTB?

Although 10 scholarships may be available at a certain school it does not mean that 10 are given out if applicants are not of a high enough standard. However, I assume they have lowered the number of scholarships due to the reasons you mentioned.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

A lot of independent schools now are transferring scholarship funds to bursary funds, otherwise they risk a flogging from Dame Suzi Leather - mind you, they might quite enjoy that if she is anything like her name. However, I think the schools do this with a heavy heart, as their non means tested scholarships used to attract applicants of the very highest calibre. Bursaries will not do this - they are not intended to reward great academic prowess, just to provide a route into the school for children who can pass the entrance test but can't afford the fees. I think this is the main reason why scholarship money seems to be dwindling, plus of course the fact that investments are not providing as much interest these days.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Tipsy
Info is from their website (adding up by yours truly).
They provide lists of those who have achieved the scholarships and which schools they hail from. Commendable. :)

KES Parent
Some schools have bursaries open to the entire intake, whilst others add bursarial support to their scholarships. Agree wholeheartedly that latter is preferable (as well as hopefully satisfying Dame Whiplash).
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Interestingly I notice that KES and KEHS in B/Ham have now changed tack regarding compliance with the public benefit requirements of the Charities Act 2006. (Check the KE Foundation web site)

They are now saying that they are activity looking at working with and partnering a number of B/Ham academies and they will even potentially provide £2M of funding so long as they can get a commercial sponsor! They have stated however that they will not provide funding directly out of current Foundation reserves or parent fees.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KenR wrote:They have stated however that they will not provide funding directly out of current Foundation reserves or parent fees.

.... and those foundation reserves were always a mighty big pot.... at least they were before the latest economic problems !!!! Lots of property -mainly commercial.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

KenR / hermanmunster

Had a look at KE Foundation accounts. Last ones on website are March 2007.
Net assets of £117m.
Investment properties of £56m bringing in £2.5m in income.
Other investments of £49m bringing in £1.5m in income.
Other bits and bobs.

Those investment properties are now worth at least 25% less, though most of the rental income should be solid.
The other investments were mainly in equities, so either they moved into something else or they are down 40% or so. Income (dividends) anything but solid.

They may be feeling poor, and adding extra bursaries to the already substantial support they provide to 7 schools (2 Indie and 5 state) may seem beyond the bounds of duty!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Re bursaries - some schools offer academic bursaries and some schools only give means tested bursaries to those who have been offered a scholarship. Means tested bursaries (at Rugby at least) are not just for anyone - they have to prove themselves academically first.
shalom

scholarships and bursaries

Post by shalom »

Yes, I agree with Ed,s mum. Bursaries are not for just anyone. You do need to be very good indeed, at least that is the case at highly selective independent schools in London and many are called Academic Bursaries and they are certainly not given away just to be kind!!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Not necessarily. Bursaries can be offered (certainly at Rugby School) at the discretion of the Head on any grounds so long as he feels that there is a need/benefit to the child concerned.

It can be (and often is, I'm sure) given for academic achievement, but it could also be for medical, social or other reasons.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now