DULWICH COLLEGE

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Uncle Jo

DULWICH COLLEGE

Post by Uncle Jo »

A friend of mine whose son passed to Dulwich College can not take up the offer. His mother just had a baby and unemployed and the father (who trained in I.T) but because of credit crunch is at the moment working as a mini-cab driver. Unfortunately, the offer could not be taken up because Dulwich College have asked the parents to pay full fees of about £12k. They applied for bursary very late and the school refused to review the fees. They obviously can not afford the fees. The only alternative admission is a local comprehensive that nobody wants. Is there anything the parents can do to salvage the situation even at this late stage?
eloise

Post by eloise »

Sorry to hear this Jonathan. I don't know much about bursary distribution but guess there is an annual pool of money - perhaps DC have exhausted this year's bursary supply. I don't think there is much that can be done if they insist upon saying no.
Is the other school your friend's been offered Kingsdale? If so, he may be pleasantly surprised - have heard increasingly good things about the school (although admit it is not in the same league as Dulwich College).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I have no information to offer, unfortunately, that will suddenly solve their problems.

I just wanted to acknowledge your post as I can only begin to imagine how they must be feeling at having to relinquish the place. The whole family must be in a state of shock and disappointment. It would be lovely to hear that it all works out for them - but I suppose real life isn't always like that.

My only suggestion would be that the family comes up with an attention-grabbing, money-raising activity that buys them a bit of media attention...worth a try maybe??
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I have sympathy for your friend's son particularly if he had his heart set on Dulwich College. However most children adapt and settle at the school they attend. State schools are not all bad, most children attend them and do perfectly well if they are motivated and well supported.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

It might be worth investigating local educational charities. Some areas have foundations set up to support the education of local children - from the days before state education. These funds are normally now given to local schools, but we have a local charity that also supports individuals under 25 in their education.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now