Comprehension part difficult

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Katherine

Comprehension part difficult

Post by Katherine »

Hi

My child who is preparingfor 11+ is ok with other topics, He is a good reader too,inspite he finds v.difficult in doing comprehension. Even I find difficult in understanding and answering questions esp in Bond series. I spent a lot in buying books- how to improve comprehension, but not find useful,still in the same level. Most of the Comprehension articles /poems are difficult to understand what they mean by?Can anybody please advice how to improve comprehension skills in simple and understanding way? I am getting bit tensed because of this as comprehension got about 10-15 marks.
How will be the Reading school comprehension part?
Advance thanks to everybody for ur replies.
Katherine :roll:
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

To help my son with comprehension I would ask him to read, from one of his books for me for about 10-15mins, I would then ask him questions on the passage. This helped him give him a better understanding of what is expected on comprehension questions.

Hope this helps :D
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

When we were doing the 11+ prep I would get my DS to read a comprehension passage, 1 paragraph at a time and then I would ask him what he thought was going on etc and then we would then go onto the questions to orally answer them and go through the passage to find the answer, after a while it should become clearer as to the type of answer is required based on the way it is phrased and also the marks which are allocated to it ie a question worth 2 marks should be quite short and just contain facts. The other tip I can give you is if a question is eg worth 4 marks then the examiner is looking for 2 points (evidence) derived from the passage and then an explanation for each of them. One book I found really useful re answering comprehensions was a Collins KS3 English book. My one was a hand me down from my neice but it was one with a CD in it and some of it would be a bit too detailed for what is required in the 11+ but if you took the basics from it it really helped!!

HTH!!
Regards
Coolmum
Stephen McConkey

Comprehension

Post by Stephen McConkey »

I ran this query on comprehension past my literacy coordinator and she offers the following advice: - Read to your child and ask factual questions about the passage.
Ask your child to read to you and then ask him/her factual questions. (Some children can read “mechanicallyâ€