NFER Word List

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
The Tutors

NFER Word List

Post by The Tutors »

In the free download section of this site there is an NFER wordlist that contains all the words used in the questions and answers of the four verbal reasoning familiarization papers.

Post by Guest »

Very useful. Thanks.

SB

Post by Guest »

I don't understand why this is so useful. These words and combinations will not appear on the papers that the children have to do in the real test.
The Tutors

Post by The Tutors »

How do you know that these words will not occur in the tests?

If you are suggesting that NFER will delete approximately 750 words from the english vocabulary, then they are going to be very limited with the words that they can use.

There are words that are highly likely, likely and not likely to be used.

The list contains most of the words contained within the Dolce list (if you are an expert you will be aware of this), it contains most of the words within the National Curriculum Literacy syllabus (available from DFES) and it contains some of the technical words also in the National Curriculum.

Have you actually downloaded the list and studied it?
Wish Upon A Star

msg. for The Tutors

Post by Wish Upon A Star »

THANK YOU for supplying this very helpful NFER word list.

It certainly had me reaching for the dictionary whilst going through definitions and spellings of these words over the past weekend with my child.

Every little bit of extra knowledge of what to expect in the papers helps raise confidence and I for one think that to increase your childs vocabulary, has to give them an advantage on the day.

Thanks again.

Wish Upon A Star. :D
SB

Post by SB »

Hello Guest,

I don't understand why you feel the word list is not helpful. I have many bunches of VR reasoning practice papers for my son including Nfer. One of the areas where he is weak is related to words. Some words, eventhough he uses everyday, when given with a mix of other words he gets confused. Sometimes he cannot decide the exact meaning of a word eventhough he knows the word.

So, for us, the list helped to go through the words and identify the odd/unfamiliar/difficult ones and have a discssuion about the meaning, opposite, usage, etc. Every single/simple help towards preparing the 11+ plus exam matters. That's how I take it. The information is there. It is upto you to make use of it (or not).

Regards,
SB
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now