Word/ Numeracy games for long car journeys!

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Word/ Numeracy games for long car journeys!

Post by scarlett »

I've bought quite a lot of games from Usborne ...wipe clean they are like a large pack of cards ..brain puzzles, maths puzzles..picture puzzles which are really nice and keep them occupied for a while. We play an easy game think of 5 types of fish or 5 european countries, there are lots of things you can think up . I did buy a game from our local toyshop called Are We There Yet ? and has lots of landmarks, vehicles, signs to look out for. We also play that game when you start with something like sun and then the next person says holiday and the next person says something to do with that ( not sure if that's completely right, but it's the way we play it ! )
2littleboysmum

Post by 2littleboysmum »

We play the number plate game... take the 3 letters from car numberplate, and try to make as many words as poss which contain those letters, and also more points for letters in the order they appear, longest word etc. a totally made up game, so you can change it as much as you like!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

What fantastic games! Thanks everyone. I can see I'm going to have to tell DH to take the scenic route, so that we can play them all!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
um

Post by um »

Definitely also buy some audio cds; we have just finished a full Morpurgo collection and the books are read beautifully and really capture children's attention. The BBC Classics series are great too.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I agree with Um. Put on a good tape and the hours fly by. The best one we ever had was a five hour tape which finished as we pulled up to the farmhouse where we were staying. Hadn't heard a peep from DC all journey. Bliss. Martin Jarvis reading Just William is bliss.
Manana

Post by Manana »

What do you all do when you have little children, too? My older children would happily listen to audio stories (and do when littlie is asleep), but I have a two year old who sings and talks very loudly over them!

Or are everyone else's children just better behaved than mine :oops:
mystery

Post by mystery »

No, they are not better behaved, but a smack in the mouth from the older one usually sorts the problem.
um

Post by um »

Sounds like my 2 year old, I just turn the volume up to max.
He then gets the message that no-one is appreciating his early singing abilities and sits quietly. Sad but true.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

:lol: Mystery.

That is my problem, Teachermum. We do have talking books in the car and DS1 has listened to some excellent long stories. But DS2 would complain bitterly if he had to go through too many of those and DS1 would rather pull his own teeth out than listen to Billy Goats Gruff AGAIN!

Somewhere, we have got Alan Bennett reading Pooh and was wondering if I could stretch that to both of them. Will test it out!

Have also ordered a number of the Usborne packs that Scarlett suggested as I found one that would suit a 3 year old - spot the difference etc for young children and all the other puzzle packs I think will keep DS1 occupied for a happy while.

Finally, I've treated myself to one of those gorgeous inflatable fluffy neck pillows for a few sneaky zzzzzs in the car 8)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Went to the library to get some audio books for our long car trip to Italy and they offered me a self contained little thing, looks a bit like an ipod, that you just plug your own earphones into: DS 12 can happily listen to Charlie Higson, whilst DD 5 sings merrily to the rest of us. I've also uploaded stories for her onto my ipod. Happy holidays eveyone!:)