Time to step up the prep....

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FluffyD

Time to step up the prep....

Post by FluffyD »

Just been to Smiths today and bought the 10-11 Bond- verbal and non verbal, the GL multiple choice verbal and non verbal, also, a spellings and mental maths quickie book.

There were no pack 1 of the GL books so we wont be starting those just yet, I bought the pack 2 and am looking out for the pack 1 in Leeds tomorrow at the bigger Smiths.

Am a little shocked that it came to over £40 for just a few books, this really is a big money making plan for someone isn't it? Still cheaper than a tutor and with me new bribery plan, prep has been going well so far! :lol:

Anyhoo, next prep day is Friday(tomorrow), I have prepared DS by letting him know that these are all at a higher level and that he may find them a struggle to begin with, he is perfectly OK with this and is ready to step it up. Phew! :D

My question is this, all the books seem to be just test papers, is there anything I should be looking out for that I can use to help teach DS about all the different types of questions?
I was planning on just taking a question at a time and just explaining how we would go about answering it trying to teach him any "patterns" and hints to help solve the questions.
Any tips? We are in West Yorkshire, taking the North Yorkshire test.

Thanks.
Vic x
Vic x
scary mum

Re: Time to step up the prep....

Post by scary mum »

Have you looked here?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Yorkshire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is an IPS "how to" book which might help you.
scary mum
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

FluffyD wrote:
My question is this, all the books seem to be just test papers, is there anything I should be looking out for that I can use to help teach DS about all the different types of questions?
I was planning on just taking a question at a time and just explaining how we would go about answering it trying to teach him any "patterns" and hints to help solve the questions.
Any tips? We are in West Yorkshire, taking the North Yorkshire test.

Thanks.
Vic x
Hi Fluffy D

DD found the following two books very straightforward and easy to follow - both books covered techniques and tips for doing each question type.

1. GL Non-verbal Reasoning: Essential Skills and Strategies for Success (Official 11+) by GL Assessment
2.GL Verbal Reasoning: Essential Skills and Strategies for Success.

Both books are available to purchase on-line.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Kind regards
Boo
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

They look good , Becky . I've been using the Bond " How To Do Books " with my boys and I have found them well presented and simple to understand. Y*utube also have a series of VR Tutorials which are really helpful .

Fluffy , my DS doesn't have a tutor either so that's the way I'm working through it all .Each maths topic from the Bond book and also a CGP key stage 2 book ..to learn how many angles in a triangle etc and then work through the relevant tests. The same with the VR ..learn the codes for example and then consolidate that. I've no idea how to explain the NVR although I do have the book..luckily he seems ok at those. I've just started my DS on the 10-11 Bond books too .Let me know how your son finds them ! I've just bought some new books called " Practice and Pass The 11 Plus " which look good.

I know what you mean about the expense ...just keep thinking that you can save them for your DD ! Remember to use a pencil !
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi :)

We get our books on Amazon. Think they're a bit cheaper and they arrive next day. We're also working through Bond 10-11 VR and maths. We're about a third of the way through maths and two thirds through VR. Finished the NVR. Have just bought 10 minute NVR and English (which we need to cover for St Olave's and possibly indies if we go for any).

The little-and-often approach seems to be working this week. Hope it works when he's back at school next week and has all the after school stuff :?

x
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

Hi FluffyD

I agree with Scarlett, the Bond "How to do it Workbooks" are also very good and the Bond books in general are excellent. DD just worked through them at her own pace and then about 3 months before the exams I switched her onto the GL packs for VR and NVR (all the VR/NVR tests in our area are prepared by GL Assessment).

I also purchased all the books from Amazon in dribs and drabs for DD1, so was really unaware of how much I was spending.

However, recently I was fortunate enough to win £400 worth of gift vouchers for Amazon. I spent the whole £400 on books for DD2 - Bond, Susan Daughtery and GL Books/Packs, First Aid in English, Spelling books etc. I was surprised how quickly I burnt through the money. Nevermind, I am will be well prepared and organised second time around.

Good luck Fluffy D.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

I agree .. the 'Method and Technique' books are fab, I went through them with my DC and together we worked out how to do each question type.

The Tutors tests are great and we are also doing the IPS packs. Have now purchased the GL assessment pack, but as recommended (by Patricia :D ) will leave these till nearer the test as they are similar to how the questions are set out in the test, although easier ... but will help boost DCs confidence nearer the time!

In Bucks we only have to cover 21 question types, however the tests are Verbal Reasoning and my DC is much stronger on maths than english; so in addition to the word list recommended by Patricia :D I have put together my own word lists, i.e. well known cities, original currency, well known languages, rivers etc.

I have to say my general knowlege has improved too since doing all this work! :D :wink:
Heartmum x x x
penguin

Post by penguin »

1. GL Non-verbal Reasoning: Essential Skills and Strategies for Success (Official 11+) by GL Assessment
2.GL Verbal Reasoning: Essential Skills and Strategies for Success.
thanks

just added to amazon basket
thanks for sharing B Boo

OH is blissfully unaware of my trigger-happiness with regards to Amazon 11+ book ordering
chara

Post by chara »

You can get most Bond books half price from WHsmith online at the moment!
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

scarlett wrote:I know what you mean about the expense ...just keep thinking that you can save them for your DD ! Remember to use a pencil !
My DC always complain that I don't let them write in the books, but make them answer on a separate sheet of paper so we can reuse the books for the next child - with 3 children it would break the bank if I had to repurchase the books for each child.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now