Improving memory skills

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cha

Improving memory skills

Post by cha »

My son seems to forget work that we have done, or a question I ask him and repeat the next day he has forgotten.

Any tips or anybody with similar experiences?
Belinda

Re: Improving memory skills

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AEC

Post by AEC »

cha wrote:My son seems to forget work that we have done, or a question I ask him and repeat the next day he has forgotten.

Any tips or anybody with similar experiences?
Its just the case of going over the material again and again.

With regards to maths, for example if you have worked on how to decimals for a week, similarly fractions for a week and then percentages for week (i.e. main topic per week), chances are if you come back to topic 1 after three weeks, child would have forgot on how to deal with decimals or fractions, if that is the case, I believe there should be 10-20 short question on these main topics every day and they shouldn't take longer than 20 mins to complete.

Hope its useful but feel free to update if this doesn't work.

Happy to help.

Regards
AEC
mystery

Post by mystery »

I agree. It's frustrating that there don't seem to be any maths text books that work this way so that as well as getting an element of new material, the child can practise all the old topics too, briefly and regularly. It's the only way to keep it fresh.
cahillcahill

Post by cahillcahill »

A strong memory depends on the health and vitality of your brain. Whether you're a student studying for final exams, a working professional interested in doing all you can to stay mentally sharp, or a senior looking to preserve and enhance your grey matter as you age, there are lots of things you can do to improve your memory and mental performance.
cha

Post by cha »

I have seen an improvement in memory, maybe its just down to maturity or having to remember more for school. eg. pe kit, what his teacher has told him etc, which is jogging his memory...something has worked.. thanks for all your help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now