silly questions about the exam

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
menagerie

silly questions about the exam

Post by menagerie »

I know these are very silly but I can't help wondering about them even though we are months away.

Do they take their own pencils, rulers and erasers in or are they provided with them? If they're provided, is it OK to carry spares?
What about scrap paper?
Water bottles?
Polo mints? (I got through finals on polo mints, so associate them with helping people to think clearly.)

It would be great to have some insider knowledge of what's allowed or not in different exams.

Does anyone else have minor questions that they are secretly fretting about?
DC17C

Re: silly questions about the exam

Post by DC17C »

Once you register you should get info on what to take. I think in Gloucester you could take a pencil, sharpener and eraser in a clear plastic bag. Rough paper was given out and a snack /drink were allowed for the break.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I think in Kendrick (Reading) there are no rubbers allowed and no rough paper so it very much depends on the location of the tests
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Slough Consortium we took pencil, rubber, ruler, biscuit and drink in plastic bag. No rough paper allowed.This is one test of VR then a break (hence biscuit and drink) then the NVR.

Bucks they supplied pencil and rubber - the children were not allowed to bring any paper, snack or drink.

I was also panicking about this but when the joining instructions arrived, it was very clear what they had to bring with them so don't worry about that at all!
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Lincs-pencils etc were provided.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Thank you. Sounds like every exam is different.
wellprepared

Post by wellprepared »

Hello all,
if they are no scrap paper allowed how to train DD to do type z without doing rough work.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

They can write on the question paper, just keep clear of the answers.
patricia

Post by patricia »

If no rough paper is allowed [as in Bucks] get your child used to it now. In the real test, there is more than enough room for children to make notes for all question types including the Zs. I never give my children scrap paper, they must use any room they can find on the test papers I give them.

If rough paper allowed and no notes allowed on actual paper, give your child one A4 piece of paper. Draw a box in the corner about 5 cm by 4cm, tell your child to put all question numbers in this box that they guessed on, so they know which questions to go back to for a second look at the end. In addition always write the question number next to any notes they make in case they want to go back to that question at a later stage.

Patricia
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Patricia, that is a brilliant tip. Every time you say anything on these forums, I wish you were tutoring my children. Your insight is priceless.