exam food

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
menagerie

exam food

Post by menagerie »

Does anyone know much about nutrition and digestion and what is good to eat the night before, morning of and as a snack between exams?

I've heard carbs are good for physical exercise and protein is better for cerebral work. Also heard that heavy carbs, even the night before, will slow the brain as the blood is off helping the digestion. Is this true or nonsense? Does anyone think it makes a difference? What about chocolate between exams - I know that's what they'd like, as treats, but will it lead to a sugar dip or will it keep them going for that final hour? I don't know enough about nutrition to know what to believe and what is just faddish gossip. I survived finals on milky coffee and a few pieces of fruit. I wasn't hungry at all that week, and knew instinctively I'd work better on an empty stomach but wouldn't want the DC to do this even if it is what they want.
yoyo123

Re: exam food

Post by yoyo123 »

Patricia has posted some info about this,along with general tips for the big day.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice/day-of-the-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Fabulous. Thank you. I should have known Patricia would have some trustworthy advice. She is remarkable.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

We eat a lot of wholewheat pasta ( about 3 times per week). Is it really that bad? What would be a suitable substitute? Brown rice?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I find porridge is a great breakfast...when I work a day shift I have to eat breakfast around 6 am and then might not have a chance to eat until the afternoon and porridge is the only breakfast where I still feel mentally alert , not dizzy with a low blood sugar and actually not that hungry !
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Soak 10 almonds in water overnight, remove skin and give to child every morning. Improves memory retention
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Oh I'm so pleased im not the only one thinking about food lol!!!! I gave my son a large piece of salmon with a very large helping of rocket and spinach with a small portion of pasta. Lots of fruit and porridge for breakfast and banana on journey.
I was panicking in case he needed the loo though so made him drink plenty on the way then went for a walk when we arrived ( very early lol ) so he could then nip to the loo when we got to the school.
Seems to have worked for the 2 tests he has done but we still have 2 more to go to!!!

Good luck everyone and feel free to put recipes that may be worth trying lol

Angie76 :D
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Thank you Angie for making me feel less like a neurotic loony. :D

Salmon, almonds, porridge - all good tips, thank you.
cahillcahill

Post by cahillcahill »

Certain foods can have positive effects on the brain. Eating foods that contain specific nutrients can help sharpen the memory, improve a person's mood and help keep the mind active. Instead of grabbing a doughnut on the morning of an important exam, eat foods that will increase memory function and improve focusing abilities.

Vitamins are essential for a healthy body and brain. They help feed the brain and keep it active. B vitamins such as folic acid, B12 and B6 play an important role in the functioning of the brain messages that are sent back and forth throughout the body. Eat a small portion of lean meat, leafy vegetables or a cup of cranberries to help stay focused and more alert. Bananas, nuts and seeds are also excellent brain foods to eat before taking an exam