Summer holidays have arrived...........

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

If tests are in September or October [as in Bucks] I would not be giving a child 6 weeks off. Its a long time to become rusty and slow down with timings.

As a tutor, my parents have a choice, see me a few times during the summer with the child completing 1 test every week or I just leave 6 tests for parents to administer, with the parents providing the feedback, or if they are unsure they can give me a call. [ and no I do not charge for the second option!]

50 minutes a week is not too much to expect from a child.

Patricia
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I agree, Patricia. In fact we find it quite difficult to fit in 11+ work during termtime especially as DD has now started a Saturday afternoon activity as well as being busy in the morning. Evenings are difficult due to homework, music practice, various after school activities etc., not to mention the needs of younger children, and so by the time we finally settle down to start work we are both quite tired! Ideally I would rather do this kind of work in the morning but this just isn't possible at the moment as DD is at school! I therefore intend to use the summer hols to best advantage by concentrating our work in the mornings - nothing too heavy, just amounting to a couple of hours a week, so that she can enjoy the afternoons and evenings and we can go back to the juggling act in September.
Marylou
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi all,
Marylou - I did exactly as you suggest-11+ work a couple of mornings a week during the holidays leaving later morning, afternoons and evenings for fun. We went away for a couple of weeks and did absolutely nothing then. I don't think it did either of my children any harm- and they both managed to pass so I think it was worth it. I found it quite easy to fit in the few hours each week-especially when it was raining!
Good luck to those of you who have got to go through it all this year.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Marylou I know exactly what you mean.

My dd has various things going on in the week and so the only day we have free is Tuesdays. Outside of that we struggle to fit in the extra vocab work and generally have to squeeze it in.

Having read Patricias advice I sopke to my dd yesterday about summer hols and actually she feels herself she would haveto keep doing the tests as thinks 6 weeks would be too long not to do anthing so I have agreed that we will test every week and do a bit of vocab too if we can.

Unfortunately for us things can be harder in the hols as I work and so generally the kids go to thier nans where I haveto collect them each day so we amy even be starting later then usual and ofcourse will not have the option of mornings.

Having said that two of the activities dd does will stop so we will have Monday or Friday as options.

Mel :P
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now