Comprehension/Grammar practice

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

svg123

Comprehension/Grammar practice

Post by svg123 »

Hi,

I am looking for a complete book for my DS to practice with his grammar & comprehension skills for 11+ exams. Can anyone suggest such a book?
I know there have been books in the past which had a complete structure, not just for 11+ preparations but its difficult to trace one these days on bookshelves.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

- svg123

* Apologies for posting this in multiple forums as I am not sure if parents/tutors check all the forums.
Tulip

Re: Comprehension/Grammar practice

Post by Tulip »

Hi svg123,

I can recommend Tutor Masters Comprehension, Bond English, Schofield & Sims Comprehension, The Eleven Plus Book (Mixed with Maths, Comprehension& General knowledge ) and Haydens Richard Comprehension books. But some are the books mentioned above have to order through the internet. Hope this helps. :)
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Thanks for the information. I already have Haydens Richard and I find it useful.
vasu

Post by vasu »

For Grammar I suggest First Aid in English and Collin's English Book 5.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Thanks Vasu. Is it "Collins English Skills - Book 5" or "Practice in the Basic Skills (5) - English Book 5: English Bk.5" ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Basic- ... 981&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OR

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-English ... 981&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vasu

Post by vasu »

"Practice basic skills" one. It covers everything. Sometimes kids get confused between simple things such as proper noun and improper nouns or genders. This book is like a good revision . But First Aid in English is mother of all books!!! You have to buy the answer book along with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... ix2zab46_e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Thanks
Readthequestiondear!

Post by Readthequestiondear! »

Hi

For grammer, I recommend 'First aid in english', I am even learning from it myself. Remember to buy the answer book too, as I soon discovered that Mummy/Daddy do not have all the answers!
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now