How soon should you start preparing for the 11+?

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest0907

How soon should you start preparing for the 11+?

Post by Guest0907 »

Would someone please advise me how soon I should start preparing my daughter for the 11+ ( and what I would need to do to get her ready) she is only 8 at the moment but forewarned is forearmed!!
chez

re how soon to start preparing for 11+

Post by chez »

Hi,

I would suggest that it is too early at the moment. I would start in Year 5.
However it's never too early to pick up on vocab when he's reading and checking to see if he knows the meaning of the words etc..

Also use different wide ranging vocab when you are talking to him. Try different uses of words, in other words rather than using the same words all the time use different words with the same meaning to get him used to vocab etc..

Post by Guest »

Pre-conception as winter babies are more succesful than summer babies. eleven
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

To Guest0907 - In my case, I have been doing some work on Verbal Reasoning with Son 1 who is in year 5. But Son 2, who is aged 8 and in year 3 was feeling a bit left out, so I got him the Bond Verbal Reasoning book for Age 8-9. The questions are very similar to those I am doing with the elder one, but easier. I wouldn't have bothered if he hadn't expressed an interest, but he seems to quite enjoy doing them and it might help later. So I'd recommend that, if you did want to do something with your 8 year old.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You could always start building the underlying skills. Times tables, mental maths ,vocabulary etc.

Introduce this via games and activities and you will be helping your child with all school work as well as 11+
Mumstheword

Re: How soon should you start preparing for the 11+?

Post by Mumstheword »

Morning,
I started my dd in year 5 but did not know much about 11+. The majority of the others in her tuition group started in year 4 and are way ahead of dd.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

My advice is that the 8-9 year old (Yr4) children should be doing Bond 9-10, CGP, S&S etc alongwith building foundation of core skills. I do not get hung up on summer born/winter born as there are always exceptions and some schools apply standardisation to account for that.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

This is a very old thread, started 7 years ago