Exercise in the break between tests

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rachdougl

Exercise in the break between tests

Post by Rachdougl »

I have been advised that the children are allowed a break between the two test. Currently in Bexley and my child will be sitting the cem style test which covers all areas. Just wondering if in the break my child should do some physical activity, jumping on the spot etc to get her energy levels up plus recharging her brain ready for the next test or would that be counter productive.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Exercise in the break between tests

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It wasn't a hugely long break, in our area - long enough for a toilet stop and a snack - the tip I was given (and worked for us) was to give a high cal chocolate bar to eat in the break to give the brain a burst of sugar...and of course lots and lots of water to keep it hydrated!
SouthWiltsGrammer

Post by SouthWiltsGrammer »

kenyancowgirl wrote:It wasn't a hugely long break, in our area - long enough for a toilet stop and a snack - the tip I was given (and worked for us) was to give a high cal chocolate bar to eat in the break to give the brain a burst of sugar...and of course lots and lots of water to keep it hydrated!
I'm paranoid about how much water my DC should drink in the break and my DC needing to go to the toilet during a test?!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Schools usually give the children plenty of time to visit the toilet before the tests start.

As for exercising in the break between tests, yes, that does sound like a good idea in theory, but they may not get the chance. When my DD took the second stage Tiffin Girls' exam in 2012 they had to stay sitting at their desks between each part of the test. They could have their snack and water there. My daughter was a bit annoyed about this as there were some people she recognised and she wanted to be able to go over and say hello but couldn't!

If you are worried about it, it's probably best to check arrangements with the specific school your child is applying for.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Physical exercise sounds like a good idea at first glance, but the effect of physical exercise is that the body requires more oxygen so the proportion going to the brain is less, I know you are only talking gentle exercise but I personally don't think it's the best idea.. There are good reasons why soldiers are asked their details after physical exercise...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now