Ideas to help make 11+ learning fun

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Re books

Post by Guest »

My second wasn't a reader either until I got some HP storys on tape from the Library. We would listen to them in the car and sometimes even after reaching our destination the boys wouldn't want to get out of the car until that particular chapter finished.
Anyway I was unable to get the 3rd book quick enough for him, so he started reading book 3 all by himself, and that was it, he went onto read bk4, and started on the Narnia set reading the last book just in time for the film, and boy did he have his views on, what was missing and how he had pictured the snow queen differently etc etc.

As mentioned above, I think the key is finding something they are interested in.

I've since purchased the HP set on CD and the boys never tire of hearing them. Highly recommended for some peace and quiet on longer journeys!! :D
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I also got the HP stories on tape for long journeys in the car, and they are marvelous. Now my son looks forward to travelling!
He has to read for homework and once he gets into a good book, he doesn't stop reading. But he rarely picks up a book just for fun. I may try Dawn's tip about comics.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

All

I think story tapes are just about the greatest way to introduce children to reading - new genres that they wouldn't try otherwise, more advanced reading than they can manage alone. And as for very long drives for summer holidays ...!

Every so often I clear out a few that the kids no longer want, and people bite my hand off for them.

The silliest one of the lot is Muddle Earth. It irritated us as parents beyond words at first (as did Harry Potter, of which I am now a great fan), but in the end the "Singing Curtains" got to me! :lol: (And that was long before the 11+!) I would say it is the nearest thing to a comic book on tape/CD that you could find.

Some wonderful tips coming through on this thread. So glad I started it, thank you all and keep it coming in.

Sally-Anne
I know the feeling!!!

Post by I know the feeling!!! »

Hi to all!!

I am new here and want to wish every parent and child all the best of luck for the grammer tests. I also have a son who doesnt like reading he thinks its "Girly" his words. I read the tips from other forum users on reading comics, he loves reading comics and is also a Dr Who fanatic. I was wondering if somebody could tell me where I can get the Dr Who annuals from. Do I have to order this? or can I buy from the shop?

Thanks

READING FOR BOYS

Post by Guest »

Hello there ..
Excellent stuff here ... my son, too, has always been reluctant to pick-up a book. As suggested by a previous contributor, fact books and comics can play a major part in introding boys to the world of literature. However, don't forget poetry books in all of this. Their bite-sized bits of information and instant humour play readily into the minds of boys. ALWAYS EAT YOUR BOGIES by Andrew Collett is, perhaps, the best poetry selection available for boys everywhere - big and small!
I know the feeling!!!

Post by I know the feeling!!! »

Hi
Thanks for the great tip, it sounds like a great book. I will definately search for this at the bookshop. Does anyone have anymore interesting ideas on books for boys that they can recommend? I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks
angelz

Post by angelz »

Hi
Although my eldest son is an avid reader, my tip might also help.

I have found that the books which appeal the most are those which have been made into films, such as the Harry Potter series and the Antony Horowitz, Alex Rider books (Stormbraker out at the pictures now).

He likes to compare the books to the film and tell us all how they missed out various parts.

Hope this helps
angelz
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Loving this thread! :P
MumInTrafford

Ideas to help make 11+ learning fun

Post by MumInTrafford »

Hi everyone,
I'm new so please bear with me if I'm repeating any ideas.
My daughter is taking 11+ in October 2009 but we're beginning to do bits of work and become aware of topics to brush up on.
We have lots of games to play walking to school....car registration plates etc.
1) count all numbers on the reg plate quickly.
2) when you see the 3 letters, shout out 3 adjectives.
3) same again but shout out 3 adverbs.
We also play the 'alphabet game' ie. go through the whole alphabet, again saying an adjective beginning with each letter. The trick is to see if we can get to 'z' before we reach school.
To make it more fun we pick a subject eg. Doctor Who and again go through the whole alphabet trying to think of something to do with Doctor Who for each letter. Obviously this is more fun for them instead of adverbs etc but it gets them thinking.
Hope this helps.
Barbara
moved

Post by moved »

A few that have worked with my own and tutored children:

Alliteration sentences, e.g.

Languid lions leap lazily

The adult comes up with an example and they have to find any sentence using the adjective noun verb adverb format. Choose a theme, the sillier the better.

Equally fun is consequences with an adjective noun verb preposition article adverb format, we swap this around.

Old fashioned but fun, Bingo cards using tables, cover up the square with a sweet, you can eat them all at the end. So even if they lose they win.

Recently I have, through this site, introduced children to freerice.com, good for words, grammar and tables, they like the idea of learning whilst giving rice to the needy.

Boggle is a shorter alternative to Scrabble

Timez Attack is a free game that allows them to play a platform game and learn their tables

mymaths website has games such as Connect 4 with coordinates
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now