Sooo Slow!

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDog

Sooo Slow!

Post by PurpleDog »

DD2 will be taking 11+ in September and she is more than capable of getting a good score but she is currently painfully slow.

This morning she did a verbal reasoning paper which I didn't think had significant time pressure and she only completed 52 out of 80 questions in the allotted 50 minutes.
I'm finding it so frustrating as speed is even more important in non-verbal and Maths and I really don't know how to help her to speed up other than more practice and encouraging her to focus.

Any tips?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Sooo Slow!

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Is she taking the test in a CEM area? Did she get all the 52 out of the 80 right? If it is a CEM test area, each section tends to be shorter with the total for the first paper being around the 45-50 minute mark and the same again for the second paper. So in reality she will be focusing for 5 mins or 10 mins or 3 minutes and then having to turn over and move on to the next section. Try breaking the 50 minutes down so she has to do x number of questions in 10 minute bursts as she may focus better. Remind her of the need to move on if she can't do a question, rather than continuing to puzzle it out. Many bright children get caught out by the technique of a CEM paper (which is accuracy AND speed).