Waiting for those results...

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
schlumpf

Waiting for those results...

Post by schlumpf »

I've been trying to forget about it but I just can't. The wait for the results is driving me nuts, this is worse than the prep before the exam! Just wish I could go to sleep and wake up in a couple of weeks when that damn letter's on the doormat. Anyone else feel like that?

Also feeling extremely stupid about getting so worked up about it, I know there is nothing I can do now. How's everyone else managing to stay calm until results day? Any tips gratefully received. :?
Stokers

Re: Waiting for those results...

Post by Stokers »

I'm really struggling aswell - almost managed to persuade myself that the DAO results would arrive yesterday! And no amount of rationalisation - there's nothing I can do to change the results, getting worked up about them now won't help DD deal with any bad news, etc, etc, - is helping. And, even when DAO results have arrived, I predict we'll have another week to wait for HBS.

Mercifully, DD is coping better than me - she claims that she only worries when she thinks about it and that's not often. However, she won't tell me what she would like me to do if results arrive when she is at school, ie., open before I pick her up or when she gets home. What have others done/would recommend?
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

I can't really suggest anything except distract yourselves. Last year we were expecting the Latymer results early as they had always arrived earlier than stated in previous years, but last year they didn't and it was agony with each morning waiting for the post and each day a disappointment as nothing arrived.

You have a good 10-12 days wait for the results for Latymer, DAO and HBS. Just tell yourselves there's nothing coming this week so don't think about it.

So glad it's all over for me. I found this bit sheer agony too. It's like going over your due date when pregnant!

Good luck!!! I hope you get the outcomes you are hoping for (when they finally arrive).
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Good luck to everyone, I know exactly how you feel, this was us two years ago.

I remember waiting for HBS results which were due in the post any day, I opened my emails to find the Watford Consortium results which I hadn't expected yet! You need nerves of steel.

Will be doing it all again in two years with youngest dd.

Keep busy!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Stokers wrote:I'm really struggling aswell - almost managed to persuade myself that the DAO results would arrive yesterday! And no amount of rationalisation - there's nothing I can do to change the results, getting worked up about them now won't help DD deal with any bad news, etc, etc, - is helping. And, even when DAO results have arrived, I predict we'll have another week to wait for HBS.

Mercifully, DD is coping better than me - she claims that she only worries when she thinks about it and that's not often. However, she won't tell me what she would like me to do if results arrive when she is at school, ie., open before I pick her up or when she gets home. What have others done/would recommend?
It didn't occur to me to wait till dd got home. I got home from work at 2.30 and the DAO letter was on the doorstep. I ripped it open before I'd shut the door! There was no way I could have opened it with dd. If she hadn't got in I'd have been so gutted that it would have definitely shown. I knew I needed to know so that I could pretend, if she hadn't got in, that choice number 2 was great and fantastic etc... As it was none of the other parents at school had looked at the results and they all did open them with their children but I think they had more courage than me. So it ended up with 4 girls in the phone to each other in the evening in floods of tears (of happiness) which was probably better than that happening in the playground. ..
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Much much better in my opinion for parents to open it and have a few hours to plan a strategy.

I am not a fan of the open it together approach. If it is bad then you need to be devastated first and then recover and be ready to be supportive when your dc finds out.

I spent the weekend on eggshells as the QE results came in with some triumphs but many more despairs.

It is hard to celebrate success with one when there are others sixty plus marks behind.

I kept both dds out of the playground on results day having witnessed the brutality of it the previous year,

I don't think any of this should be done out in public and certainly not in the playground. DG
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Sorry, missed that bit.

DS and I opened the QE letter together because it was Saturday morning and he heard the post come through the door, and it would have been too difficult to hide it. It was bad news and I had to leap to a positive stance immediately on the hoof, which was tough. The Latymer result arrived on a Tuesday morning, it was on the mat when I got in from walking the dog. I just opened it, there was no way I was waiting for DS to get home. I remember standing there reading it and re-reading it to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong (no thanks to their round the houses way of imparting news). Thankfully it was good news and it was our first choice so it was really good all round. The poor dog had to stand on the doorstep for a rather long time though, he was not amused! I left the letter in DS's place at the table, and he saw it as soon as he came in from school. I agree the playground is no place to share the news.
Ripcurlrana

Post by Ripcurlrana »

Hi! Feeling the same as Bournemouth results due on Saturday. Not many on the Dorset forum so I thought I'd seek solace with all of you. :wink:

My DS doesn't want to know his result. We get told whether he's 'eligible' or 'ineligible' to apply. So fingers crossed for eligible! Either way we've told him it's fine as he's worked so hard all year, he's done us so proud already.

Good luck to all of you.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

You're very welcome Ripcurlrana - I have a friend with a DS at Bournemouth in Y10. He's really happy there. I wish you and your DS the best of luck for an 'eligible' letter :D
Ripcurlrana

Post by Ripcurlrana »

lemondrop wrote:You're very welcome Ripcurlrana - I have a friend with a DS at Bournemouth in Y10. He's really happy there. I wish you and your DS the best of luck for an 'eligible' letter :D

Ahh very kind... Thank you! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now