codes

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

codes

Post by patricia »

Dear USA

In reply to question under the verbal reasoning section, I have found an old post of mine describing how to attempt codes.

Dear Jim

Codes, type C

Alphabet always given - add manually to the end ABCDE

One basic RULE...WHATEVER you are LOOKING for goes on the BOTTOM

You NEED a rule because sometimes the word and code are written in a different order.

eg if the code for TRAP is USBQ
what does DPME mean?

Tell your child to go straight to the second line[dont waste time reading first line] what are we looking for? - in this case a word - therefore have to make the word of the first line go on the bottom ie write USBQ on top of TRAP

..... ............ USBQ
if the code for TRAP is USBQ
what does DPME mean?

Do NOT write this out separately, just pop USBQ on top of the TRAP that has already ben written down, saves time writing both out, and the possibility of writing down incorrect letters.

now work downwards ie how do you get from U to T = -1 apply this to the first letter of the code on the second line ie D-1=C

and so on...S to R=-1 apply it to second letter=P-1=O
B to A=-1 apply it to third letter =M-1=L
Q to P=-1 apply it to fourth letter E-1=D

at last we have the word COLD

Your child DOES NOT write all this down says to her/himself U to T =-1 apply it ie D-1=C the only thing that is written down is C

The real tests are going to have longer words - if your in Bucks you will have a multiple choice sheet - which helps alot when it comes to codes because you can check after you have done the first three letters and normally you have found enough to answer the question - saving you time. OR some children find the answer quicker if they start at the end of the word/code

I like times of between 30 and 45 seconds for these particular codes - hope you have understood - much easier explaining verbally!

Once children have the technique mastered I offer them an alternative to writing the code/word on top of what they are looking for ie same rule -

If the code for TRAP is USBQ
what does DPME mean?

Looking for word, word goes on the bottom, child will draw an arrow on top line pointing towards the word so child knows they are moving right to left ie U to T then S TO R etc

It is MOST important to draw the arrow so child knows which way to move - if we were looking for the code in this example the arrow would go left to right

In addition the question could have been written

If the code USBQ means TRAP
What does DPME mean?

Looking for the word, arrow goes left to right, not right to left as in the 1st question layout

Its practice makes perfec!

I would rather explain verbally any day

THE OTHER TYPE OF CODE YOU MENTION

These are MIRROR codes, M and N are the MIRROR

Some children are quick enough to recognise immediately others have to work the code out in the normal fashion, get it wrong and say to themselves , oh yes its the other type!

Child should glance at the first line and 'see' if they can notice certain letters are their opposite number at the opposite end of the alphabet

eg the letterE is the 5th letter in from the left, the 5th letter coming in from the opposite end of the alphabet is V

the letterW comes in 4 from the end of the alphabet, so the 4th letter coming in from the opposite end of the alphabet is D

So, what is the code for BAGS

B comes in 2....2 in from opposite end is Y

A comes in 1....1 in from opposite end isZ

G comes in 7....7 in from opposite end is T

S comes in 8 [ from right end]...8 in from opposite end is H

Code for BAGS is YZTH

I call these codes 'coming in from the ends'

Just to confuse matters this type may also take on a twist where...

If the code for EGG is UTT
What is the code for CAT

This time its come in from the opposite end plus 1...

E comes in 5.....U has come in from the opposite end 5 [+1]

So, the code for CAT.....

C comes in 3......3[+1] =4.....4 from opposite end =W

A comes in 1.....1[+1]=2.....2 from opposite end =Y

T comes in 7.....7[+1]=8.....8 from opposite end =G

Code = WYG

Its good to encourage children to KNOW their way around the alphabet, from a young age my mum taught me the alphabet backwards, I can still reel it off to this day.

Good luck

Practice, Practice,Practice

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear USA

re my above reply, last paragraph, getting to know the alphabet.

I play various games with my students, using a plastic alphabet. Its a worthwhile exercise, although in the majority of cases the alphabet is given, it's good to know that T is towards the end and N is towards the middle, it does save precious time.

Of course, if the alphabet is NOT given the child should quickly write it out!

1] Jumble all the letters up, give letters to child in quick succession, every couple of seconds in a random fashion, ask them to put into alpha order, at first they get many out of order but eventually succeed pretty quickly.

2] Teach child the positions of three letters, this is very old fashioned, I remember learning this way when I was young

E=5th letter

M=13th letter. M for middle

T=20th letter. T for Twenty [ alliteration]

Ask child for the 8th letter, do not need to start at A, because they know E is the 5th, work on from there

What is the 18th letter, do not start at A, they know T is 20 work back 2

3] Using there knowledge of 2] ask them maths questions.

Add the position numbers of G and T

G=7 / T =20 answer =27

Take the position of H away from the position of P, give answer as a letter.

H=8 / P=16

16-8=8 answer =H

4] It really is worth trying to learn the alphabet backwards, they love reeling it off.

Ensure your child knows there are 26 letters in the alphabet, ts quite surprising the answers I get when this question is asked, it varies between 22 and 28!

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now