Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:40 pm 

Tinkers wrote:
I think the National trust (or similar organisation) made a list of things children should do before the age of 11 and 3/4 a few years ago.

I still have a copy of it, and there was a similar list in the Times around then that I also kept. I'll see if I can scan them and post them so we can compare the government's ideas with those that were already invented 10 years ago ... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:50 pm 

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/50-things-to-do

Do you mean this?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:54 pm 

Yes that’s the one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:47 pm 

That is it indeed. I think the Times' version was 100 things to do before you are 16, or similar.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:35 pm 

We came up with a list, I think it was a “must do”.
Sadly, the reality for many children would include:

Mum gets me up for school, rather than sleeping off her hangover
Not go to school hungry
Not having to see Daddy hit Mummy’s head on the floor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:58 am 

Why is everything made into a list these days? Lists of things to do before you die (rather than afterwards); best walks in the country; best restaurants/pubs/hotels at the coast; best short breaks; best holidays with dogs; superfoods you must eat to - that kind of thing. Can't people be trusted to think for themselves any more - do we really need journalists and 'experts' (in what, exactly?) to advise, in list form, on every last thing we do?

Two observations here - I have travelled pretty extensively and almost never found that the 'must-see' sights are the things most worth seeing anywhere. And secondly, this particular list sounds like a nod to the idea that schools are massively stifling young children by making them do things which go against their nature, so now the DfE thinks it can provide a tick list to ensure that they feel better about that in the face of criticism of mental health services for the young. 'Child has seen sunrise - tick', 'child has climbed tree - tick' - really?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:24 am 

Amber wrote:
Why is everything made into a list these days? Lists of things to do before you die (rather than afterwards); best walks in the country; best restaurants/pubs/hotels at the coast; best short breaks; best holidays with dogs; superfoods you must eat to - that kind of thing. Can't people be trusted to think for themselves any more - do we really need journalists and 'experts' (in what, exactly?) to advise, in list form, on every last thing we do?

Two observations here - I have travelled pretty extensively and almost never found that the 'must-see' sights are the things most worth seeing anywhere. And secondly, this particular list sounds like a nod to the idea that schools are massively stifling young children by making them do things which go against their nature, so now the DfE thinks it can provide a tick list to ensure that they feel better about that in the face of criticism of mental health services for the young. 'Child has seen sunrise - tick', 'child has climbed tree - tick' - really?

:D

However, I am sure the government will find a way to penalise schools if 80% of pupils are not acheiving expected numbers of experiences.