Are SAT's results that important?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

andyb

Are SAT's results that important?

Post by andyb »

Many people on this forum seem to be concerned that their child will not achieve a level 5 in their SAT's - does it really matter? My view is that the tests are done for the benefit of the school and league tables. Will a good result (or a poor one for that matter) have any effect on the childs ongoing education? I know some secondary schools use results for streaming in Y7, but I would have thought that was just a temporary measure until the teachers get to know their pupils. Am I doing my DS a disservice by letting him whizz through the sheets he brings home so that he can play in the sunshine? I know he is unlikely to get a 5 for English so should we be trying to bring his grade up or just accept that English is not his forte? It seems to me that Y6 is just test after test and there must be more to life than that, especially for a 10 year old.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi Andy,

I certainly wouldn't worry about SATS results-my DS got 2 4's and a 5 although he was predicted 3 5's,he has never performed that well in tests.He is now flourishing at grammar school in year 7 and his last termly grades show level 6 in English and Maths!
If the school had set based on the SATS then he would probably have been in the bottom set-as it was,they set from year 8 onwards after they have made their own assessments based on what they have seen for themselves.
I would have been slightly more worried if he had gone to the local comp-only because setting starts straight away,although I'm sure that any mistakes would be quickly realised and rectified.

Let them play outside-there is enough stress when they get to secondary school,they need to enjoy their last few months in year 6 in my humble opinion!

GM
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Andy,
It depends slightly on where your DS is going next, I think.

My DS is at GS and we were told unequivocally at parents’ evening that the school took no notice of SATs results whatsoever.

However DD is going to local secondary modern in September and a letter we’ve had from the school says it is one of the criteria they use to set for the first year.

I also believe that it’s important to try to get 3 x Level 5s if you want to have a shot at the 12+, but people better qualified than I can confirm this (or not).

PS We are also in Bucks.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DD and DS didn't do them - it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I suppose they always get quoted as it is one bit of "real" evidence to hanh onto and give people some confidence that the appeal is worth the try etc.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are important as your child's targets will be based on them and the secondary school will be judged on the progress.

4,5, 5 is fine though - I do worry if I see 4, 4, 4 or very weak level 5s - we get the actual mark so just the level.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Gloucestermum - I agree entirely - childhood should be for playing and having fun, there's plenty of time for stressing over exam grades later.

Rob - he's got a GS place which is probably why I've got such a laissez-faire attitude towards the whole SAT's issue. In my view he's proved (proven?) what he's capable of and should be left to enjoy his last couple of months at primary school.

I shall stop worrying that I'm a bad mother - for now :wink:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

OFF TOPIC

Andyb...I assumed that you were male!!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Ed's mum wrote:OFF TOPIC

me too - but then I thought capers and etienne were as well!
mad?
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

mad? wrote:
Ed's mum wrote:OFF TOPIC

me too - but then I thought capers and etienne were as well!
Not this again! :roll: Capers is male, but now you've got me wondering about Etienne....... :?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think you'll find that Capers is completely ambiguous about her/his gender...

It's one of those great mysteries along with WHO is the programmer/forumadmin?!!