SATS Levels

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
heidiho

SATS Levels

Post by heidiho »

Hi

DS has got SATS results. but no levels. If we have percentage score how do we know if he acheived an a b or c?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is no official a, b, or c ...

Science is /80 so why have you got a %?

http://testsandexams.qca.org.uk/18988.aspx
heidiho

Post by heidiho »

He got 73 for science. The Teacher told him they were percentages! Obviously I think she means score!

She will not tell us they are are 5 a b or c.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's because they are all level 5 ... that's the official level - anything else is guess work.
katel

Post by katel »

A level 5 is a level 5 - no differentiation.

Be pleased! Why do you want to know?
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

73/80 seems very good to me, - well done to your DC
Bougalou
Frankie

SATS KS2

Post by Frankie »

Can anyone clarify exactly what the teacher assessment result is set on. Is this the child's predicted SATS Test result i.e. how they have performed in previous mock SATS tests etc. over the year and therefore how the teacher thinks they are likely to perform in the actual SATS test? Or is it something much more complicated, that only teachers know about?

Your knowledge and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Frankie
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It should be bassed on pupil work during the year ...
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/key-stages ... index.aspx

If you are interested - you can find level descriptions at QCA.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Just wondering that if a child was reported as "working to a level of good effort with above average attainment" during years 4 and 5 in maths and then graded at a level 4a at the end of year 5, then carried on achieving 4a - 5b in year 6 (including 'mock sats results') and then went on to achieve 92% in actual SATS (assume 5a?) would it not then be expected that the teacher assessment would more likely reflect a 5 rather than a 4? Sorry for rambling a bit but I was trying to set a picture that there is some substance to the child's achievement throughout the year, and not just a one off fluke SATS exam result as my DD is worried this is what her secondary school will see it as, rather than a child who can cope with maths and consistently tries to work hard and achieve!

There is much speculation as to whether the secondary schools do see and indeed use the SATS results as a guide to streaming the children when they go into year 7 or just tracking ability etc as the years go by but as we are not sure what the situation is my DD is anxious to know why she was awarded a 4 and not 5. I will try and speak to her teacher before the year ends but as we only have a matter of days and all teachers are obviously busy I wanted to ascertain as much info as poss in order to understand and anticipate their reply!!

I am most likely just seeing this from my DD's point of view so would like someone elses take on the situation.

Many thanks again.

Frankie
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now