Year 5 sats results and 11+

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - there is NO official a, b or c
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

sub-levels are shown against level 5s on my Y5 son's report this year. Although we do optional sats, I would imagine the end of year report is based on a mixture of exam and teacher assessment. I would think it would be very unhelpful for a school to just put "5" on a Year 5 child's report as you wouldn't know if they'd just scraped a 5c or if they were a secure 5.

We've always been given sub-levels in end of Y6 reports too, although the official KS2 SATS letter doesn't give sub-levels.
blue

Post by blue »

Thanks all,
agree that it would be unhelpful to just put 5 with no idea of how they came within the 5.
Will soon find out in end of term report! :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd's end of year report came home with the official SAT's letter stating 5's across the board. There was no unofficial sub-levels.

I have asked for her raw scores :)
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Is there anything which might indicate that the 3a could be unrepresentative, or do you recognise that your DC might have a difficulty with maths? I only ask because my DD2 got a 3a for literacy last year which, although I acknowledge her forte is for maths and science, I felt was a little low. She did not have a very productive year in Year 5, being in a class which contained a very disruptive pupil. She complained frequently that she could never finish any thing. It's that kind of thing I was thinking about.
Any hoo..... within 6 weeks of starting Y6 she was predicted a level 5 for literacy which seemed rather strange! And...... she has just achieved a level 5 for literacy. Some children just develop differently from others, and I think the huge leap this year has been down to a rapid increase in development plus sufficient quiet time to complete work (different class dynamics this year.) In terms of the 11+ the 3a might be questioned at appeal if your DC does not pass, - most appeals take place before SATs results are out. Our DD missed by 5 points and we were asked to explain it at our first (failed) review. The panel found it hard to reconcile the predicted level 5. However, following this, we were able to produce a document which showed her actual performance in the KS1 Sats which showed her ranked 2nd amongst the 11+ passers. This along with standardised scores for all primary school years showed that the Y5 score was not consistent with other performances. The 2nd appeal was successful.
So it doesn't have to be a big obstacle, and may not be representative of overall performance. I would advise you to discuss the issue with the teacher if you can, and keep in touch for the early part of next term.
All the best
Bougalou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Marylou

Post by Marylou »

All this talk of levels being included in school reports makes me quite envious. Our school reports consist merely of comments with no figures at all to back them up. :roll: You can get test and optional SATs scores if you ask for them, but you do feel as though you are asking for the moon with some teachers! In all KS2 years, the children are told their test scores individually in class and we have to rely on them to report back to us. Even the end-of-stage KS2 levels are not formally reported, although by then the children are usually mature enough to record them reliably and report back to parents. The KS1 marks at the end of Y2 are however reported to parents - presumably only because they have to be. :? I think this situation is highly unsatisfactory.

There - got that off my chest! :lol:
Marylou
Milla

Post by Milla »

I agree entirely, Marylou. I had to go in for ours and felt very pushy. Then had to hold all the info in my empty little head - how his 4a was actually up from 3a so represented a rise of 3 sub places so while I was busy preening I nearly missed the bit about the 5. Then I started worrying about the 4a so I nearly missed what she was saying about the 5. And, yes, how secure a 5 it is would be good to know - I tried to peer (unobtrusively, of course!) at her sheet but it didn't seem to contain finetuned marks, just final results.

It may well be irrelevant but since they do test and assess and level I for one would like to know the outcome. And this is just the time when you need to start reassuring self or looking for areas to help strengthen which you cannot do without the requisite info.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Milla wrote: It may well be irrelevant but since they do test and assess and level I for one would like to know the outcome. And this is just the time when you need to start reassuring self or looking for areas to help strengthen which you cannot do without the requisite info.
Agreed. The attitude seems to be one of "We use this information for our own purposes, but parents don't really need to know". So much for the partnership agreement we all sign at the beginning of term. :roll:
Marylou
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

That's appalling!! I'd be there with my notebook I'm afraid, asking them to slow down while I make sure I've noted down the correct levels!

In addition to getting levels and sub-levels on reports at the end of every year we have a parents evening every term when the teacher will volunteer the information about what level your child is working at. And if you're as practiced at reading upside down as I am, you can also work out how your child is doing in relation to others!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now