Year 5 sats results and 11+

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh don't talk about upside down reading, while, of course, maintaining eye contact at the same time! It's the only time I truly multi-task. What I would like to know is his relative place. I'll graciously not demand a full list of everyone else's scores (!) but I would like to know if he is 4th or 34th and what the top and bottom marks were, to give a more meaningful idea of his progress, not just within his own parameters but within that of the class.
One time, when in desperate need of reassurance, I stumbled upon (legitmately but also fortuitously) his reading age. He was just in year 3 (so not yet 8) and had a reading age of over 12 I think, 12.9 or something bizarre. Why hadn't they let me know!! I mean, I knew that he was good at reading and, more importantly liked reading, but as far as I was concerned it was just him reading, so I didn't know that it was comparatively good and boy it was a relief to find out.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

We were given a feedback form this year and I made the point about wanting actual facts like levels and reading ages, got that for the first time ever this year for one DS.

When I taught I hated writing reports because copying down all those trite phrases from my crib sheet took up a lot of my summer evenings and I knew they told the parents nothing. It is quicker and more informative to give factual info like levels and reading ages so don't assume all teachers are loath to give it out unfortuantely they have to go with school policy so that is what you want changed.

The problem with comparing to others in the class is that the standard of each class is different. We are having that problem with DS2 at the moment and I am concerned that there will be even less progress in one area next year. I know if he had been in a different school his maths level would be higher as it hasn't changed sub- level since September. Fortunately we are given this info termly so I know this, unfortunately his teacher obviously doesn't realise it hasn't changed because she though it was an excellent result :roll: .
Milla

Post by Milla »

I know that with different classes the comparisons will be of approximate use. it's just that since the various levels are meaningless to many people, myself included, who are outside the education world then a further point of reference, a relative one, would be useful. I don't even know what is involved in a SATS handwriting test? Our place is rife with layered targets and nests of targets and God knows what else and after a while it is just baffling and more trouble than its worth and even the committed can't be bothered to fight through the obfuscation.

However, one of DS1's friends last year was the only one to get just a level 3 in his maths, I think, so, it being Y6, it is reported that 97% got 4 or above (they don't record the 5s publicly, just that the necessary 4s have been attained, although half the class got 5s), and that 3%, being one poor boy, got a 3. So everyone knew, and, since the school also provided a boy/girl split where 100% of the girls got 4+, then everyone knew that it was just him, and that was pretty hard. A sort of false anonymity.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I didn't think they were allowed to do that Milla. It is one of the reasons small schools don't always publish their results. If there is under a certain percentage it makes it easy to work out what other children have got. Under the data protection act we are not supposed to be receiving info on other peoples children. My DH spouts it out everytime we return from a parents evening where he has been busy reading the other childrens' levels whilst I have been discussing DSs work :wink:

However a general class position is fine though it will create competitiveness. I don't think it is necessary though if you are given the right info. Basically a bright child should get level 5's at the end of year 6. So in year 5 they should be getting high level 4's and some 5's but this will vary from school to school. Some schools will produce more 5's than others depending on their priorities. Also CATs scores and VR score will be an indecation if they do them and the children haven't been coached.

I like reading ages as well but these never seem to be given out and I don't know why.
Milla

Post by Milla »

in with the reports for year 6, they gave that year's score for the school (33 in the class, but only 13 boys, 7 of whom got grammar places so whilst it was not laboured, everyone always knows). They also broke it down into boys / girls and gave the Gloucestershire-wide averages and those for the country, too. In the papers when the league tables are published, some months later, it is there, too, as 97% etc which, with a class of 33 or 34, means each child counts as 3%.

Actually, generally, the school is quite caring. The teachers try to arrange rulers and bits of papers so that only your own child's score is readable. A bit like changing on the beach in the wind, achieving total modesty is not always possible, what with jumping from page to page. They must be horribly used to wandering, nosy eyes!
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I am concerned that there will be even less progress in one area next year. I know if he had been in a different school his maths level would be higher as it hasn't changed sub- level since September
Tolstoy, we had this issue in Y5 and used the feedback form both to note it and to put our concern on record. Fortunately good progress has been made in Y6, but interestingly our 11+ appeal panel did pick up on the point and asked us specifically about it.

DD’s school regularly give us reading ages which is useful up to a point, but frankly once they get to Y6 if they’re good readers they can read pretty much anything anyway.
T-4-2

Re: Sats grades in reference to entrance to independents.

Post by T-4-2 »

blue wrote:Does anyone know then whether it is common practice to just grade level 5 as a whole as not as 5a, 5b etc... in year 5? :roll:
According to my DCs teacher, only optional SATs, ie, those taken in year 4 and 5 etc, have levels a/b/c, so according to her you should get sub-levels in year 5.

As Guest55 says, sub-levels aren't given in compulsory SATs, ie year 6.
moved

Post by moved »

Sublevels are provided for maths 5c/5b, but the others just provide 5.
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

Oh, we were told there were no sub-levels in KS2 SATs in ANY subject! As far as I know everyone was just given a general level in maths, whether it was 4 or 5.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In Y6 there are NO official a, b or c at any level.

In the optional tests there are ...