SATS results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

Post by katel »

I honestly don't think any secondary school would set targets based on sats results alone - they don't do they? Certainly none of the ones round here do. And even if they did, surely they wouldn't base them on an unexpectedly low result? And even if they did and the target was too low, the child would hit the target in a very short time and be set another one, surely?

I just hate people being worried about things which don't need to be worried about!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A good school won't - but it may take at least a year to realise that the KS2 mark was a 'blip' - that's a full year of not being stretched enough - it may well mean the child is misplaced in Y8 sets and then ....
you can see how it can happen.

Your child ends up with a lower GCSE because they didn't make the top set ...
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm expecting to get our son's results at parents' evening the week after next. Induction day is this Wednesday. I don't know how much notice they take of SATS because the only thing they set for before Y9 is rugby...

Mike
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My school is sending every single literacy paper back. Unusually low results, with some surprises at the top end too. Year 6 teacher extremely surprised by the results...
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I'm with Katel - I don't understand why people get so excited about KS2 SATS results. Certainly not people who have the 11+ to endure!

My sons' GS does not set until Y8. My Y7 son has just received his report with current attainment levels and predicted attainment (end of KS3) based entirely on his performance throughout Y7 and in the end of year tests. All the non-selective schools in the area are moving to banding, with effect from next year. My understanding is that schools that band invite applicants in for testing at the end of Y6 (certainly our local academy does this).

But surely even if a school does set in Y7 based on KS2 results alone (which I do find hard to believe) and they find a child struggling in a top set or an obviously very bright child in a lower set, they will just move them?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's not setting - it's target setting - quite a different thing altogether - schools are given Fischer Family Trust data - this is based upon KS2 tests.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Guest55 wrote:It's not setting - it's target setting - quite a different thig altogether - schools are given Fischer Family Trust data - this is based upon KS2 tests.
Guest55 - can you tell me about this Fischer Family Trust data, I've heard it mentioned before, but I don't know what it is and would love to know more,

Thanks,
LFH
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.fischertrust.org/dap_overview.aspx

(Apologies for typo in the post above!)
katel

Post by katel »

I may be wrong (it has been known!!!!!) but my understanding was that the FFT data is intended for schools to set their own targets - it's not used to set targets for individual pupils.

The idea is that schools should have a wide range of data (academic, social and environmental) in order to understand better whether their pupils are doing as well as they should against pupils at similar schools and to choose effective programmes for improvement.

I have honestly never come across a secondary school that uses KS2 SATS as more than a part of their assessment of new pupils.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Can you tell me whether this FFT data is compiled for all school children and can I request to see the data referring to my children?

Many thanks
LFH
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now