Suggestions needed

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alex

Re: Suggestions needed

Post by Alex »

You have the right to go to an independent appeal for any school place when you have applied and been refused. However, for the infant years (Reception, Year 1 and Year 2) the factors which an appeal panel may take into consideration when making a decision about whether to allow the appeal are very limited if there are what are called "Infant Class Size" issues. The government has said that these year groups may not go above 30 children to one qualified teacher. You can find out from the school or from the LA how this school organises its infant classes and whether any appeal would be an "Infant Class Size" appeal in which case chances of success would frankly be very slim. If there are no infant class size issues it would certainly be worth pusuing an appeal to get both children in the same school.

It is a shame there is no waiting list. As you get to know the school you may find a friendly receptionist or head who will let you if a place becomes available. Otherwise there is little option but to enquire on a regular basis.
learningmum

Post by learningmum »

:D I am now on cloud nine.

After having a depressing week about changing schools and thinking that ds2 would not get a place, I have received two letters this morning offering a place to both son's.

I can't explain how happy I am about this. God really does answer prayers. Everyone was saying that ds2 would not get a place because both classes are full with 30 in each.

Before anyone changed their minds I have spoken to the deputy head at the new school who has said it will be ok for them to start on Tuesday (Monday is a teachers training day.) Both dc will get to see their new class rooms on Monday. They have allowed for them to go in and see where they will be on Tuesday.

I have popped into school and told both children that this is their last day at school so they should enjoy it. Also given them a box of chocolates to share with the class as a goodbye :cry: . There is no going back now.

Poor ds2 doesn't know what has hit him as I never told him he would be leaving so quickly. He is just glad to stay with ds1.

Too much stuff has happened at school for the last few days. I am just so relieved we can start again.

Can someone now tell me how to stop dancing around like a fool :lol: I have no idea how I would act if I won the lottery.

One hour and 10 minutes until we are free.......
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh excellent news LM. Sometimes things just work out don't they!!

Enjoy it and I hope your sons really enjoy their new school :D
learningmum

Post by learningmum »

Thanks Snowdrops.

I think I may be more excited than them. I really hope they will love it. I am sure they will improve with a little push.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

learningmum wrote::D After having a depressing week about changing schools and thinking that ds2 would not get a place, I have received two letters this morning offering a place to both son's.

I am so happy for you and wish your dc's much happiness in their new schools and WELL DONE you :)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Very pleased for you LM - hope both your children will be very happy in their new school.
learningmum

Post by learningmum »

Thanks everyone.

I have come back to say that it is now week 2 in dc's new school and they love it. DS2 had no problems fitting in well and I have been told he is well behaved.

Ds1 has become a new child. All the moaning has now stopped and he seems to be a much happier child.
Moving schools has really helped to build his confidence so quickly. He completes his homework at break time in school and even begs me to give him chores (he now does the hoovering and washing up :) )

I started to wonder what they have done to my son. He has changed for the better and the household is now much happier.

Thanks again
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi learningmum. I have just read this whole thread and I wanted to say WELL DONE for fighting for your DSs. They are very lucky to have you. Great to hear that they are enjoying their new school.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

happy kids = happy mum! :)

Well done Lmum :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now