SATS BOYCOT INFO

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Plum wrote:DS's school is doing them. They said it would be unfair to cancel now after all the hard work the children have put in. DS said that he was more than happy to have them cancelled and that all his friends felt the same! :roll: :roll: :roll: Funny that!
I can understand how you feel.
However, I can testify that many teachers (that I know) would have dearly loved to boycott the SATs but genuinely felt it unfair to have taken the children this far, with all the revision they have done etc etc, to then abandon them and let the children down at the last minute. How would we feel if we had built up to something only to have it cancelled?

I can also assure you that, had the boyvott been suggested months ago, MANY more schools would have participated - for the reason I gave above.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

How would we feel if we had built up to something only to have it cancelled?

Hello British Airways, and the volcanic ash cloud.... :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Exactly! It doesn't feel good! :lol:
Moving on

Post by Moving on »

My DD's school is also doing SATs this week. If the schools wanted to boycott SATS, they should have made this known months ago as opposed to leaving it to the last minute. It is unfair to bombard our DCs with the preparation for SATs on top of all their hard work only for the tests to be cancelled. Our DCs should not be used by teachers to hold the education system to ransom. Schools should not be afraid of the league tables if they are doing a good job. Until another method is in place, league tables are the only way we can measure a school's success and accountablity which we all have to go through in our workplace.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

A friend of mine who lives in Herts son was told by his teacher his future career depend's upon these SATs, the poor boy was unable to sleep on Sunday night because of the pressure. :cry:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Schools should not be afraid of the league tables if they are doing a good job. Until another method is in place, league tables are the only way we can measure a school's success and accountablity which we all have to go through in our workplace.
The problem with this though is that schools can be forever damned and consequently may never be able to improve results significantly. They're also not the whole story. A lot of pupils at DS's school are tutored, some from the age of 5 - this must have some impact on the school's results.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now