KS2 SATs results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wonderwoman

Re: KS2 SATs results

Post by wonderwoman »

Amber is right the national statistics are from last year. These figures don't vary much from year to year.

With reference to some going to GS without level 5 writing - this is not at all unusual. Many children go to GS with all level 4s. Many do not pass their 11+ and achieve level 5s across the board.

I thought the writing tasks lead to very good writing this year - lots of level 5s.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

DS's school imo got dreadful results in writing, only 17% achieving a level 5.

Lets hope the appeal panel view DS's results in the light you have all shed, achieved level 5 in all but the writing (despite being asked for sub levels we were told these are not provided...).

Highlighting that many children go to GS with all level 4's v many who achieve level 5's across the board not passing the 11+ further raises the question for me 'is the system fair?'. I can hear the arguments now 'they test different things', but I would argue that if all students were on a level playing field (with no tutoring outside of the classroom) the 11+ results would make for very different reading and the kids gaining the 5's in the SAT's would be placed in the most appropriate school as opposed to what many end up with. :twisted:

I feel better now! :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi T12ACY
T12ACY wrote:DS's school imo got dreadful results in writing, only 17% achieving a level 5.
This is not too bad - it needs to be compared to KS1 results, did more than 17% get level 3 in Y2?
Lets hope the appeal panel view DS's results in the light you have all shed, achieved level 5 in all but the writing (despite being asked for sub levels we were told these are not provided...).
There are no official sublevels - schools may or may not subdivide based on level thresholds. Of course there is a strict cut of eg 35 = 4, 36 = 5. That extra point may be made up from neat handwriting.
Highlighting that many children go to GS with all level 4's v many who achieve level 5's across the board not passing the 11+ further raises the question for me 'is the system fair?'. I can hear the arguments now 'they test different things', but I would argue that if all students were on a level playing field (with no tutoring outside of the classroom) the 11+ results would make for very different reading and the kids gaining the 5's in the SAT's would be placed in the most appropriate school as opposed to what many end up with. :twisted:
Here in an all 11+ area (and on this forum) many parents actively discourage their children from preparing for SATs as they have no interest in them, only the 11+, so some children who are capable don't do as well as they could. Borderline cases who may or may not pass the 11+ are often around the lower end of level 5, so legitimately achieve all level 5s, but it would be no surprise they didn't pass 11+.
I feel better now! :lol:
I would ask for the actual scores for SATs, if you are doing an appeal, and threshold levels. Then a panel could judge your DC achievements better.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

[quote="T12ACY"]Lets hope the appeal panel view DS's results in the light you have all shed, achieved level 5 in all but the writing (despite being asked for sub levels we were told these are not provided...).

quote]

what about the teacher assessment in writing? was that different from the test result? :)
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Here in an all 11+ area (and on this forum) many parents actively discourage their children from preparing for SATs as they have no interest in them, only the 11+, so some children who are capable don't do as well as they could. Borderline cases who may or may not pass the 11+ are often around the lower end of level 5, so legitimately achieve all level 5s, but it would be no surprise they didn't pass 11+.

Interesting, and naivity on my part shining through. My DS was not tutored through the 11+ or received any preperation for his SAT's. He sat the tests (all of them) by turning up on the day and using his raw and natural ability, I have said elsewhere he would not have scored higher in his maths paper even if he had been tutored because of the situation on the day. In the SAT test with no prep at home, although the school do practice much the same as every school in the country he scored 92%. Not quite 100% but imo a good score and certainly not lower end of 5.

It seems rather odd to me that a parent will encourage their child to achieve a GS place and then not take pride in statutory tests, they may not mean much to you (or a child who has been granted a place in the most suitable school for them without fighting for it) but to us I am enourmously proud of DS and the result has proved that he should have passed the 11+ and not be seen as borderline or one who may struggle. If he got only the minimum score necessary nobody would question how able he was.

In my view finding my son gained considerably better SAT scores than those who got through the 11+ when he missed out only minimally is like a further slap in the face!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Amber

Post by Amber »

The implication of this is that there are parents who do do SATs preparation with their children. Is that really the case? I think the only ones preparing children for SATs are the poor teachers, who have to account for every single mark the children get. My son had to do practice papers at school from about Easter. Certainly the results in our school are exactly what we would expect - the top children got level 5s across the board; those in the middle got 4s and those who struggled got 3s.The teachers' predictions for who would get what were spot on. I am not sure that preparation for 11+, which took place last year, would get in the way of any SATs preparation people felt inclined to do. I do however find it hard to believe that any school would
let children just turn up on the day and take SATs unprepared - though of course they should do, because that is the only way to make them a fair test. But because the schools live and die by the league tables, it is a brave school which would risk it.

All that said, in our house there is and was no interest in SATs at all, but we had nowhere to hide by the end of the wretched things, and DS1 was prepared to the hilt by the school, and got exactly what they said he would!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Amber, my experience is that children are sent home with lists of booklets (KS2 revision packs) that the parents can buy from the school. A lot of pressure is put on the children and parents to purchase them and to encourage extra work at home.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Our school 'achieved' 10% in writing at level 5. :( The comparison table makes for quite sad reading really!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ed's mum wrote:Amber, my experience is that children are sent home with lists of booklets (KS2 revision packs) that the parents can buy from the school. A lot of pressure is put on the children and parents to purchase them and to encourage extra work at home.
Aagh. Never heard of that: a true vision of h e ll.
jingle wrote:Our school 'achieved' 10% in writing at level 5. :( The comparison table makes for quite sad reading really!
our 23% looks pretty good then, especially for a school with a lot of social issues among its intake. National average last year was 19%.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

I have just checked our percentages and am amazed our school got 31% at level 5 in writing - it must be something in the water!!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now