May 2007 Sats

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The comment was aimed at at earlier post of a person whose children were at a private school - then was moaning about their children having to sit them if they moved their children into state education - not you - sorry if I offended you.

If you have problems with a school you should put them in writing to the Head and if something isn't done involve Governors and ultimately the LA.

No-one should accept poor teaching - able pupils should be on the G&T register and be given extension work - there are tasks set by QCA for children above level 5 - these would extend any child.

Equally there is support for weaker pupils - if your child doesn't get it ask why - every child matters!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

We have read about an ex-TA who, at SATs time and with other teachers, walked around the classroom pointing out potential wrong answers to pupils during the test. We have also read about the teacher who was against SATs and did nothing at all to prepare pupils for the tests.
There's no way these results can be relied upon if the strategy for teaching and preparing for SATs is not consistent across all schools.
Just to prove your point, here's a related thread on the TES website.

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/ ... readPage=1

Certainly an eye opener.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Very interesting bewildered, I am dismayed to think that this sort of thing might be going on!

Post by Guest »

Its not really a great surprise when primary schools are so hung up about where they sit within the league tables, which is quite apparent from the amount of pressure they can plie upon 10/11 year olds to get the SATS results they want.

My understanding of KS1 is that if a child is stuck on a maths question because they don't understand the english in the question, the teacher can help with the english aspect of the question ie. don't disadvantage a childs maths just because their english is not good enough. I don't know if the same applies to KS2. If this is the case the system is open to cheating. Can anyone with greater knowledge of primary teaching shed any light.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At KS1 there are not 'official tests' any more. If a child could not read the word 'rectangle' it could be read to them but they could not be told what a rectangle was or one drawn for them.

Every year one or two schools get caught cheating - recently a Head appeared before the GTC for this - it helps no-one.

I have never seen a teacher cheat in any school I have worked in or know of - you should report it if you see it.

Post by Guest »

At KS1 there are not 'official tests' any more.

Can someone please confirm the above - i have a daughter in Year 1 at the moment and I thought that she would be sitting KS1 SATs in May next year to get level 2 or 3. Am i right in now believing that she will not be having the tests.

Mary

Post by Guest »

Hello Guest
Your daughter will probably still sit tests but these will be to help her teacher to assess her NC levels. Her general work in class will be equally relevant in making the assessment. You will still be told her levels and the teacher assessments for your school published.

What has changed is that her teacher will have more flexibility about the papers she sits and how and when they are administered. For example, the children in my year 2 daughter's class are sitting them over 2 weeks so as not stress the children (most of whom do not know that they are being tested). The papers will NOT be sent away for external marking in the way that KS2 papers are, nor will they be sat under a formal exam protocol at set times as with KS2. At this level schools produce two figures; one for teacher assessments and the other for the formal, externally marked tests. For simplicity "league tables" tend only to cover the latter, but the school should publish both.