QCA's

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bexley

Post by bexley »

http://www.qca.org.uk/eara/documents/KS2_ARA_(7).pdf

This is the planned timetable. The mental maths paper is sat as a sparate test to the actual written maths papers. There is a CD that the children listen to that gives them instructions and then the questions. The answer sheet for the mental maths is not part of the answer booklet for either of the written tests, it is all separate. Is this what you wanted to know? Hope it is of help :)
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

http://www.qca.org.uk/eara/

Sorry that link doesn't work. Go to above, select key stage 2 ARAs than down load the pdf file for the SATS timetable!

great

Post by Guest »

thank you very much bex this link is really very informative and i have got all my qstns answered. do you mind answering one more, well i want to know how do they decide about level achieved by a pupil. i mean there are 2 written and one mental test so do they take avrage of these tests or do they have to get upto specific marks for every individual test.thanx.

Post by Guest »

Its totalled up. The qca website already mentioned gives the marking scheme.
bexley

Post by bexley »

The 3 marks are added together and the level given is based on the combined total. :)
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Bexley,

Would you know, Why when looking at the QCA test results, children are only tested to level 4 in years 3/4, and only to a max of Level 5b in year 5.
Why is it impossible for a child to demonstrate a higher level if capable?

Totally bewildered by this system!

BW
guest1

sats

Post by guest1 »

Same question i ask myself - why just level 5 when level 6 extension paper is available.

Did ask the teacher once - she just said they only go up to a level 5.

Also had a brief converstion with head teacher - he said if a child got 2a's on ks1 they are expected to get a 4 in yr6 not even a 5.

It would appear that they dont try the children for anything higher than a 5 because the goverment expect nothing more from them. So many gifted children are not decovered in the system.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The level 6 at KS2 disappeared some years ago - but there are tasks set above the levels of the tests. Details on the QGA website - I will post a link if you are interested.

A KS1 level 2a should get level 5 for value-added progress - two levels is 'expected progress'.
loulou

Post by loulou »

guest55
As the man in the know perhaps you can help me.
At a recent parents evening my year8 son was given predicted KS3 results based on his KS2 results (interestingly below the level that he is currently working - aparently level 5s at KS2 do not translate into level 7s in year 8!). Is it possible to estimate potential GCSE results from KS3 results ie. would a level 7a demonstrate potential for a B grade at GCSE all things being equal.

Loulou (who despite several years of SATS grades still does not understand them)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm actually female - but I know what you mean!

Level 5s in KS2 should become level 7s in Y9 for value added progress in KS3 - one and a half levels is the 'expected progress'.

From a level 7 a GCSE grade A would be value added progress - grade B is expected progress

However, more progress is easier of you are able - level 8 is attained in Maths by about two thirds of those in Bucks Grammar schools with KS2 level 5

Hope this helps!