QCA's

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loulou

Post by loulou »

I'm actually female
My most humble apologies.

Thanks for the info - its reassuring to know that we are on track - at least in some subjects.

loulou
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

It would appear that they don't try the children for anything higher than a 5 because the government expect nothing more from them. So many gifted children are not discovered in the system.

So its back to politics :roll:

What happened to 'Every child matters', and meeting each child's individual needs?
but there are tasks set above the levels of the tests. Details on the QCA website - I will post a link if you are interested.
Would be interested in this link, Guest55. Thanks
The tasks which are set above the levels of the tests, I presume are down to individual choice. i.e Down to the school whether they implement them or not.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.qca.org.uk/12415.html

You can read about these tasks here - to me they seem preferable to a test for level 6.

Very few children passed the level 6 additional test and I think, as a Mathematician, that I would rather children be given extension work rather than just be 'accelerated' through the curriculum.

If the school doesn't offer them you can always suggest it if your child is likely to get 5a - or just look at the tasks together [this is what I did with my child in Maths & Science]
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Very few children passed the level 6 additional test and I think, as a Mathematician, that I would rather children be given extension work rather than just be 'accelerated' through the curriculum.

My son is given extension work/sheets. He says its boring as all it is, is more questions on the same topic.
i.e. if topic is fraction addition, after completing set work, he then gets given another sheet of questions on adding fractions.

How does this extend the child? The only thing I can make of it, is it gives them more practise of the same, or am I missing something?

They say, practise makes perfect so I'm not adverse to him doing this. But why call it 'extension', why not 'extra work'.
katel

Post by katel »

What would be the advantage in a child getting a level 6? Getting a level 5 shows that they are functioning well above the average.
bexley

Post by bexley »

Bewildered wrote:Bexley,

Would you know, Why when looking at the QCA test results, children are only tested to level 4 in years 3/4, and only to a max of Level 5b in year 5.
Why is it impossible for a child to demonstrate a higher level if capable?

Totally bewildered by this system!

BW
No answer to that I'm afraid. As a parent of a child who was at level 4 in the year 3 optional SATS and 5b's in all the year 5 ones, I would have liked to have seen the chance for her to achieve a 6 this year, but as has been said, this extra paper no longer exists.

I am just hoping for good news on March 2nd (in Bexley we get the 11+ result and scholl offer on the same day).........if she gets what she wants then, I won't really care what she gets in the SATS !! :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bewildered - extension work is NOT just more of the same!

There are lots of problems involving adding fractions that could be explored - or look at Egyptian fractions or problems on the NRICH website.

http://www.nrich.maths.org.uk

New problems every month

The Maths Association Primary Maths Challenge is also good - details on

http://www.m-a.org.uk/education/primary ... index.html
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Guest55,

Thank you for the sites links.

As with Bexley, he got 4's in the yr3 QCA's. Year 4 he got a 141 in maths and 136 standardized scores in English, or 4's again in all 3 subjects tested. At the beginning of the last summer hols, he did a couple of KS2 maths past papers at home, to check for gaps towards DIY 11+ work, and got level 5s. Also found gaps in a couple of areas . :)
So when he says he's bored, I tend to believe him. I can only go by what my son tells me, and am therefore desperately trying to understand, what exactly is happening at school. (With the school being, what I can only describe as obstructive in the information they are willing to give.)

Thankyou for your valuable experience.

Regards

BW
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Bexley,

Thanks, I thought you might know.

I know what you mean about being given a chance, but It appears that politics is the over riding factor.

I wish both you and your daughter good luck for the 2nd. As you say thats the main prize :)

Good Luck

BW
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bewildered,

There are some nice problems in this book - all Primary schools should have a copy - I used to use it with Master Classes I ran with local Y6 pupils -

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primar ... hallenges/

There are plenty of good resources out there - no-one need be bored - you can PM me if you want to keep in touch. It makes me sad when children are given the support they deserve - differentiation is not about 'more of the same' but some Primary teachers are scared of Maths!!

My child used to point out errors to their Y5 teacher!! Fortunately the teacher was OK about it!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now