SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

My son doesn't do anything else than SATs practice/revision at school at the moment. It it standard practice?
chad

Post by chad »

In my sons school they are doing revision for the Sats subjects in those particular lessons but all other subjects are continuing as normal.
This is helpful for my son in English but in Maths (He has already achieved Level 5a in both mock SATS) he is 'coasting' yet again.
It is a shame that there is not enough resources for smaller schools to be able to teach in smaller ability groups.
Jezebel

Post by Jezebel »

It is a shame that the Level 6 component of KS2 SATs no longer operates for pupils such as your son Chad. Up until 3 years ago the very able pupils could sit an additional paper in English and Maths if the teacher felt they were working above Level 5. As this was a very challenging paper, resulting in very few Level 6s being awarded, it was scrapped when KS2 SATs were reformed. I always felt it gave my very high achievers something more to aim for.
Jez
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Chad,

Your son must be very bright. Hopefully, you won't have the same problem next year.
I pesonally can't wait for my son to finish with his actual school.
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Catherine

My son just has a natural ability in maths - this is not across the board though.... his english work is a bit 'hit and miss', particularly story writing. As you say next year should see him being pushed in Maths and encouraged/helped in English.

He has also become reticent to push himself forward in lessons as ' if I answer the questions right all the time I am picked on by some of the others'.

Jez.....
I have spoken to his maths teacher who is considering setting my son(and 2 other boys) a Level 6 past paper once the KS2 SATS are over.... just to see what they can achieve.

Roll on September
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Chad

Surely your primary school 'sets ' for numeracy hour. Within a class you can have a huge difference in ability, ranging from level 3 to 6 and if you have some statemented children then some level 2s. Teachers SHOULD differentiate their lessons to take into account low to high ability children.

If the school has a one form in take the 'setting' can take place within the class. teacher using various books covering different year groups, normally year5 to year 8. If the school has more than one form intake. some schools will move round for numeracy hour putting all level 3/4s together and 5/ potential 6s together. Again a variety of materials can be used, targeting where necessary.

Chad, perhaps you should ask some questions, it's not going to make any difference to SATs, as Jez has pointed out, but their daily lessons should be challenging.

Dear Catherine

Yes it is normal for schools to do a lot of practice for year 6 SATs, right or wrong its about league tables, schools need achieve their level 4s.

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Chad, Jezebel and Patricia,

My son is in a situation similar to Chad's son. Maths lessons are far from being challenging for him. He complains that the teacher goes over and over the same subjects that he knows by heart, and he gets bored.
There are three maths ability groups for year 6, but even in the highest group, the lessons don't stretch the most able.
chad

Post by chad »

Patricia

My sons school taught in mixed ability groups in Year 5 even though there was more than a 1 form intake. (Middle school system runs from Yr 5 to Yr 8.).

From October they did switch to teaching in ability groups.... but even so the ability in my sons class ranged from 3a to 5a.... way too broad.

With the SATS looming there are booster groups set up for the lower attaining but as my son (and others) have already surpassed the highest level needed they are just revising with the rest of the group.

What frustrates me is that my son is able to understand beyond the confines of the KS2 curriculum but has not been taught it.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Chad

All I can say is that your sons school doesn't 'seem' to comprehend differentiation/ability groups, you cant put a group together ranging from 3a to 5.

Schools do not have to teach within the constrains of KS2, once they have taught year 6 maths its perfectly acceptable to put children onto years 7/8 even 9 work.

Its probably a tad too late for your son, should you have any younger children, perhaps you need to investigate further. No child should be allowed to coast.

Booster groups are there to ensure the school attains level 4s schools can apply for extra money to cover the cost of such groups. Agree with Jez re its a shame that level 6 has been withdrawn.

Patricia
sue

Post by sue »

Just wondered if anyone knew the cross-over in score from a level 5 to a 6 in maths, or is it a completly different paper/score system? Just wondered to compare it... thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now